Windows 8 and Development RRS feed

• General discussion

• It looks to me that the new Windows 8 will break every application in existence for prior versions or Windows, Correct ?

It also looks like all VS Studio and .NET stuff will be broken and ether need rewritten or thrown out. 

Looks like Server stuff will be impacted greatly. 

Seems like the best course of action is to go with Dreamweaver, and do everything in Html5. 

I understand the necessity for change, but hate to see all the years of work go to waste, as you (Microsoft) do.

ken
    • Changed type Jie Bao Tuesday, June 7, 2011 5:25 AM
    Monday, June 6, 2011 2:51 AM

All replies

• We haven't confirmed it now, Windows 8 is a secret still. As we know, Win 8 changes the presentation. However, regarding to the everything in HTML 5, I donot think so. Windows will be compatible with the prior version applications, such as the Windows 7, it still can run the most applications in Windows 2000/9X still. I think, Windows 8 allow us to develop the application in MFC/Winform/WPF, and stil tol develop the Web Application in the ASP.Net or the Silverlight.

For WPF and Silverlight in Windows development, I think it will become more popular. For our .Net developer, not all work go to waste, just provide us more chances to implement our goal.

Let us wait for the Windows 8's arrival.

Sincerely,

Bob Bao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, June 6, 2011 7:48 AM
  • It would be nice to let your developers know when you know. Many of us have some large applications that could take a significant amount of time to re-engineer.

ken
    Monday, June 6, 2011 8:48 PM
  • I don't think it is a valid concern that WPF will no longer become a viable platform for development.  Visual Studio was just rewritten to be entirely WPF, and a decision with that much impact would not be made at MS lightly - they consider the future plans with something that big because most developers at MS use VS to program.

There are videos out there that show the Win 7 style shell running on a Win8 PC, so the fear that existing apps won't run is just baseless.

Monday, June 6, 2011 9:48 PM
  • Based on the limited news from internet, Windows 8 will not discard the general Windows development mode. It still is compatible with the WPF I think. So do not worry about it, I belive Windows 8 can bring a surprise, and WPF vNext can consider to add some features with the Win8 specific features.

Sincerely,

Bob Bao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 5:25 AM
  • Microsoft is known for its backward compatability i.e. any of its earlier versions of softwares would be supported somehow in the newer one.

There might be a biggg change on how windows looks and works, so as to be a huge competitor in the market, but it is bound to support the previous software.

Friday, June 10, 2011 6:29 PM
  • It would be nice to extend WPF or even silverlight to match the work you did in WP7. Having a common App base sould create more interest in Windows devices. If Windows 8 Metro UI is just for HTML5, it would be a waste of time. People love real applications. Please give developers the option to use WPF or Silverlight to work on the new UI.

I've been waiting this for so long and now I'm kind of sad that no WPF or Silverlight were mentioned in the presentation.

Friday, June 10, 2011 9:29 PM
  • I agree, keeping you developers informed is very important. I'm starting to feel the need to start something on my own in html5, at least then it would be portable to Mac :)

ken
    Friday, September 2, 2011 4:23 AM
  • Hello All,

I am doing some reading on best practices for developing in Windows 8. I havn't found any usefull information, and was wondering if you have some news/articles/website where I can read more about the topic.

For windows 7 we had some compatibility issues, and we'd like to prevent them when going towards windows 8.

Some concerns are:

1. applicaiton install directory. is this only under C:/ProgramFiles or will an app installed in another directory still run?

2. where can log files be written to? if there is a prefered destination, can we use an alternative to this, and will it still work?

3. provided we run in elevated mode, can the installer still write to the registry?

4. will applications still have access to consoles? ie to run scripts etc.

Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

Harriet

Thursday, April 19, 2012 7:13 AM