Error Configuring Build Services RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am getting following error when configuring Build Services in TFS 2010.

TF255070: Configuring services for Team Foundation Build failed with the following exception: Cannot start service TFSBuildServiceHost on computer 'XXXBLD1'.

Here is what in the log.

[Info   @20:36:33.434] StartWindowsService TFSBuildServiceHost on XXXBLD1
    [Info   @20:36:33.434] Current State Stopped
    [Info   @20:36:33.434] Starting service TFSBuildServiceHost...
    [Info   @20:36:33.436] Attempt=0
    [Warning@20:36:33.581]
    Exception Message: Cannot start service TFSBuildServiceHost on computer 'XXXBLD1'. (type InvalidOperationException)

Exception Stack Trace:    at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.Start(String[] args)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Admin.RealAdminExternals.SendControlMessage(ServiceController serviceController, ControlMessageType msgType)

Inner Exception Details:

Exception Message: The dependency service or group failed to start (type Win32Exception)

Exception Stack Trace:

[Info   @20:36:33.581] Attempt=1
    [Warning@20:36:33.584]
    Exception Message: Cannot start service TFSBuildServiceHost on computer 'XXXBLD1'. (type InvalidOperationException)

Exception Stack Trace:    at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.Start(String[] args)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Admin.RealAdminExternals.SendControlMessage(ServiceController serviceController, ControlMessageType msgType)

Inner Exception Details:

Exception Message: The dependency service or group failed to start (type Win32Exception)

Exception Stack Trace:

[Info   @20:36:33.584] Attempt=2
    [Warning@20:36:33.585]

Inner Exception Details:

Exception Stack Trace:

[Error  @20:36:33.594] TF255070: Configuring services for Team Foundation Build failed with the following exception: Cannot start service TFSBuildServiceHost on computer 'XXXBLD1'..
    [Error  @20:36:33.595]

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 9:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Bobpat,

Can you start BuildServiceHost manually in Services?

Please make sure the dependencies of  "Remote Access Connection Manager" and "Network Connections" start. For example, emote Access Connection Manager in turn is dependent on the Telephony Service, so if it's Disabled as well you need to change the settings for that service too.

In addition, I recommend you to run Best Practices Analyzer to make a Team Foundation Build Health Check if you install Team Foundation Server 2010 Power Tools.

Hope it  helps!

Best Regards,

Cathy

Thursday, November 4, 2010 3:56 AM
  • Oh, i could solve the problem - i've changed from the login informations from nt_authority to user and putted in my username and password. Then the service was started!

Greets - Raphael

Sunday, December 19, 2010 3:38 PM

All replies

• When you open the properties for this Windows Server, you will see that the service depends on "Network Connections" and "Remote Access Connection Manager".

Probably one of this (or their dependent) services is has a startup type of Disabled.

Ewald - Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Ewald Hofman
    Blog: www.ewaldhofman.nl
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 4:56 AM
  • Hi Bobpat,

BuildServiceHost service has 2 dependencies: "Remote Access Connection Manager" and "Network Connections", as Ewald mentioned. We skip second verification if the machine is in WORKGROUP.

If your machine is in workgroup, configuring BuildServiceHost with local account might help.

Also, could you please take a look into Service Manager for BuildServiceHost service dependencies?

You can go to Team Foundation Server Administration Console -> Build Configuration -> Build Service PROPERTIES -> Credentials and change this account to the user that you are logging in as.

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,

Cathy

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 9:08 AM
  • Hi,

I looked both mention dependencies and they are not disable. When configuring the build services all verification passed on build service wizard and go to next step configure that all step completed as well, but than error out can't start buildservicehost.

The build controller never created, so I can't go to Team Foundation Server Administration Console -> Build Configuration -> Build Service PROPERTIES.

I really need help!

bp

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 1:56 PM
  • Hi Bobpat,

Can you start BuildServiceHost manually in Services?

Please make sure the dependencies of  "Remote Access Connection Manager" and "Network Connections" start. For example, emote Access Connection Manager in turn is dependent on the Telephony Service, so if it's Disabled as well you need to change the settings for that service too.

In addition, I recommend you to run Best Practices Analyzer to make a Team Foundation Build Health Check if you install Team Foundation Server 2010 Power Tools.

Hope it  helps!

Best Regards,

Cathy

Thursday, November 4, 2010 3:56 AM
  • Hi Bobpat,

Is your issue solved?

Best Regards,

Cathy

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 9:41 AM
  • Hello,

I have the same problem, but I could not solve it in this way as described. All dependent services are started, but the TFSBuildServiceHost could not be started (TF255070). All other steps are green. I have a german Windows XP, could it be a problem? I wanted to download the power tools, but they are not accessible (any more). Where else could be the problem placed?

Greets - Raphael

Sunday, December 19, 2010 3:18 PM
  • I have also to admit, that going thrue the wizzard steps, I could not to add the TFS to the list (computer name or localhost are not working, the port was 8080)...
    Sunday, December 19, 2010 3:32 PM
  • Oh, i could solve the problem - i've changed from the login informations from nt_authority to user and putted in my username and password. Then the service was started!

Greets - Raphael

Sunday, December 19, 2010 3:38 PM
  • If the proposed suggestions above are not solving the problem indicated in TF255070, then check both blogs below for a scenario to get It working again:
    Check there are two blogs for how to setup Build and you should be ok:
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/vstsblog/archive/2011/09/05/installing-tfs-build-2010-on-a-non-domain-joined-machine.aspx
    Thanks to Etienne Temberly, Neno Loje and Wes MCDonald for their effort.
    Applying the TFS2010 SP1 Cumulative Update solves my issue on this.
    Hope this helps others.

Friday, September 9, 2011 5:51 PM