none
Advice pls - how to make own tiles out of SHP file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I have SHP file which contains about 150.000 lines over USA. Those lines are defined like 'LineString -60.0001,40.000002 -59.000001,40.12568'

I want to see those lines on Bing Maps AJAX control, apparently I need my own tiles.
    Can anybody advise - what tools should I use to make tiles using those coordinates?

TIA

Sunday, March 31, 2013 10:28 PM

Answers

• I usually use TileMill to create the tiles. It's a great (and free) tool that allows you to import data from several sources (including SHP files), tweak the style and then generate the tiles. It's really simple to use and the results are fantastic.

There are just 2 problems:

- TileMill outputs to a format called .mbtiles, which is basically a sqlite database with all the tiles in a certain schema.

you need to extract the images with a tool like mbutil (to run in Windows you need cygwin, although there are probably other windows tools that are able to extract these files).

- the tiles are, by default, in TMS

No big problem here, as you can override the tile Source in Bing Maps and Alastair Aitchison has a tutorial where he shows how to load TMS tiles in Bing Maps.

Probably seems a little too much trouble for what is worth, but IMHO the results are worth it.

Note: Sorry but I can't add links because I receive an indication that my account has not yet been validated. Anyway, everything that I reference should be easy enough to find.

• Edited by P. Sousa Monday, April 1, 2013 7:58 AM Added note
    • Marked as answer by Alexey_TT Monday, April 1, 2013 11:33 AM
    Monday, April 1, 2013 1:09 AM