none
doubt in open xml sdk and office RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

I am implementing a solution with openxml wit sharepoint. i am uploading docs into sharepoint document library and parsing the  excel files with the help of open xml . so i have  installed open xml sdk ms office in my dev env.

my  question is , should i install ms office and, open xml sdk in the staging and PROD servers also for working with these files?

Das

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 9:04 AM

Answers

• Hi Das,

I'm very sorry that I made a mistake. Actually we need the DocumentFormat.OpenXml.dll and WindowsBase.dll to support the application that utilize the OpenXML SDK.

The first assembly will be installed in both the directory and GAC when we install OpenXML SDK, and the second will be installed along with .Net Framework. So if the machine doesn't have OpenXML SDK installed, we'll have to copy the DocumentFormat.OpenXML.dll along with the application assemblies. By default, the application will use the assembly from the GAC in the development environment, so it doesn't copy it to the Debug or Release folder. Go to the reference of the project, right click DocumentFormat.OpenXml.dll, change "Copy Local" as True, we'll see the assembly after built.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, January 9, 2015 1:56 AM

All replies

• Hi Das,

No, we don't need to install OpenXML SDK on the production machine, we only need the corresponding .Net Framework to be installed. The OpenXML SDK is only for the development use. Actually you can use the built application, test it on a clean machine without the OpenXML SDK installed.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, January 8, 2015 9:02 AM
  • Hi Caillen,

thxn for yourr eply.

if  open xml sdk is not installed on the PROD server, how can we work with those DLLs .

Just by adding the open xml dlls along with my custom solution DLL will suffice on the PROD?

pls correct me if i am wrong.

Das

Thursday, January 8, 2015 9:12 AM
  • Hi Das,

I'm very sorry that I made a mistake. Actually we need the DocumentFormat.OpenXml.dll and WindowsBase.dll to support the application that utilize the OpenXML SDK.

The first assembly will be installed in both the directory and GAC when we install OpenXML SDK, and the second will be installed along with .Net Framework. So if the machine doesn't have OpenXML SDK installed, we'll have to copy the DocumentFormat.OpenXML.dll along with the application assemblies. By default, the application will use the assembly from the GAC in the development environment, so it doesn't copy it to the Debug or Release folder. Go to the reference of the project, right click DocumentFormat.OpenXml.dll, change "Copy Local" as True, we'll see the assembly after built.

Friday, January 9, 2015 1:56 AM