none
Recommended Storage solution for an Archiv

Question

• Hello,

I am trying to find an appropriate storage solution for archive like application. After some research online i found my favorite solution in a block Block. But i am not quiet sure about that.

At the moment we have daily about 10 Clients working at the same time and there is an Azure Server providing DNS, AD and Files. In some time we need to set up an oracle database in the cloud.

Basically the application should help the users to upload files, which are stored twice. One version is readonly the other file can be modified. For each file I want to store some additional details like thumbnail, etc. Access rights are also important and depends on the logged in user.

So i thought about using the oracle DB in combination with Block Blob storage or Azure Drive. Are there better/other ways? Do you have some recommendations?

Sincerely SRH
    Tuesday, August 4, 2015 9:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Your approach is quite correct. The upload should happen to block blob and it will return you a URL. Then that URL can have stored in oracle DB against the username to which access need to be given. The specific thumbnail also can be stored in Azure blob and have url stored against the same record in Oracle DB.

Make sure that your container in Azure storage is private and for performing read only access you will need to provision SAS based URL to users. Look for creating policy based SAS for Azure blob storage.

Azure Drives are deprecated. Use Azure Files instead. But I guess you may not need Azure Files as Azure Blob storage will satisfy your requirements.

Hope this helps.

http://sanganakauthority.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 2:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Your approach is quite correct. The upload should happen to block blob and it will return you a URL. Then that URL can have stored in oracle DB against the username to which access need to be given. The specific thumbnail also can be stored in Azure blob and have url stored against the same record in Oracle DB.

Make sure that your container in Azure storage is private and for performing read only access you will need to provision SAS based URL to users. Look for creating policy based SAS for Azure blob storage.

Azure Drives are deprecated. Use Azure Files instead. But I guess you may not need Azure Files as Azure Blob storage will satisfy your requirements.

Hope this helps.

http://sanganakauthority.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 2:31 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the answer.

I never worked with block blob or Azure Files. So I don't have any Idea what fits better for my problem?

I am little bit worried about the access rights after I read an article about SAS. There is only read/write access. When I want to create a new file than the user needs write access for the whole container?

Best Regards SRH
    Friday, August 7, 2015 5:45 PM
  • Hi,

you can read Rethinking Enterprise Storage – A Hybrid Cloud Model

This will give you better decision capability to decide azure storage for your case.

Thanks

Abhishek

Friday, August 7, 2015 6:05 PM
  • I believe kunal's answer was pretty thorough. A good way to better understanding the difference between Azure Files and Azure Blobs is by checking out the Introduction to Azure Storage article which explains both. And to answer your other question, you can use SAS to provide access to individual blobs or containers.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2015 9:06 PM