Azure App Service (web app) and static IP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm not sure if the IP address allocated to a Web App is static or dynamic (may change if the service is restarted)?

If Dynamic, the DNS association IP <-> FQDN *azurewebsites.net will be modified at each restart?

If I need a static IP, should I use an application Gateway or can I associate a public IP to an App Service directly?

Thank you

Thomas

Friday, July 26, 2019 2:22 PM

Answers

• One webapp is created, it is given an IP address which will not change thruout WebApp life time.  

Suwatch

• Marked as answer by thomas7472 Monday, July 29, 2019 8:11 AM
    Friday, July 26, 2019 7:01 PM
  • Hi Thomas,

The IP address allocated to a Web App is static .  Basically, as long as you're not on the free tier you will get a static IP. However, you can use App Service Environment (ASE)if you need static IP.

Based on this doc: "Regardless of the number of scaled-out instances, each app has a single inbound IP address. The inbound IP address may change when you perform one of the following actions:

-Delete an app and recreate it in a different resource group.
    -Delete the last app in a resource group and region combination and recreate it.
    -Delete an existing SSL binding, such as during certificate renewal"

Hope that helps. Let us know if you have additional questions. 

-Grace 

Sunday, July 28, 2019 10:16 PM

All replies

• One webapp is created, it is given an IP address which will not change thruout WebApp life time.  

Suwatch

• Marked as answer by thomas7472 Monday, July 29, 2019 8:11 AM
    Friday, July 26, 2019 7:01 PM
  • Hi Thomas,

The IP address allocated to a Web App is static .  Basically, as long as you're not on the free tier you will get a static IP. However, you can use App Service Environment (ASE)if you need static IP.

Based on this doc: "Regardless of the number of scaled-out instances, each app has a single inbound IP address. The inbound IP address may change when you perform one of the following actions:

-Delete an app and recreate it in a different resource group.
    -Delete the last app in a resource group and region combination and recreate it.
    -Delete an existing SSL binding, such as during certificate renewal"

Hope that helps. Let us know if you have additional questions. 

-Grace 

Sunday, July 28, 2019 10:16 PM
  • Thank you for your answers,

Best regards

Thomas

Monday, July 29, 2019 8:12 AM