none
Is there any way an application written for WinCE 4.2 can run on a Windows Mobile 5 device? RRS feed

• Question

• We have a program written specifically to run on WinCE 4.2, using MFC in C#.  The new OS we need to migrate to is Windows Mobile 6.5. (.NET 2.6 I think). We understand that it should be rewritten to work properly, but this is a huge undertaking (possibly 10 man years).  Is there a technique, library, runtime, etc that can allow a WinCE 4.2 app to run on a WM6.5 device?  It does not have to be fully functional, but we need to try to demonstrate it on the new platform before we can move forward on the re-development effort.

If this is impossible, then please let me know so that I can report up my manager chain.  If it is possible, then any links on instructions would be appreciated.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 12:54 PM

Answers

• Not what I know of.

I would say start launching the app as is and see what would happen. It may even start assuming CPU is the same and WM has all the APIs particular CE device has. There probably will be UI issues.

Next step would be recompiling it using WM SDK.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by DinoMotoSol Wednesday, June 6, 2012 3:04 PM
    Wednesday, June 6, 2012 6:10 AM

All replies

• Not what I know of.

I would say start launching the app as is and see what would happen. It may even start assuming CPU is the same and WM has all the APIs particular CE device has. There probably will be UI issues.

Next step would be recompiling it using WM SDK.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by DinoMotoSol Wednesday, June 6, 2012 3:04 PM
    Wednesday, June 6, 2012 6:10 AM
  • Ilya,

Thank you.  I appreciate your quick answer.  I had tried what you suggested, but nothing would work.  I took the source code and tried to upgrade it, but the calls are too different.  The programs nor cab files would run on the new OS/device.

So I am reporting to my people that a significant rewrite will be necessary.  But at least we have the old program working on older devices, so we can used that GUI as a model.  Plus, I believe much of the business logic is not part of the GUI, so we may be able to reuse a lot of the business logic code.

Thanks again,

Dino

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 3:25 PM
  • On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 12:54:12 +0000, DinoMotoSol wrote:

We have a program written specifically to run on WinCE 4.2, using MFC in C#.  The new OS we need to migrate to is Windows Mobile 6.5. (.NET 2.6 I think). We understand that it should be rewritten to work properly, but this is a huge undertaking (possibly 10 man years).  Is there a technique, library, runtime, etc that can allow a WinCE 4.2 app to run on a WM6.5 device?  It does not have to be fully functional, but we need to try to demonstrate it on the new platform before we can move forward on the re-development effort.

If this is impossible, then please let me know so that I can report up my manager chain.  If it is possible, then any links on instructions would be appreciated.

I've written a lot of source code that works, with separate compilations, on mutliple
    versions of Windows CE and Windows Mobile. I pointededly avoided anything
    platform-specific and most of my source code works on  all platforms. However, the startup
    code is drastically different. Specifically, Pocket PC, Smartphone, and Windows Mobile use
    SHCreateMenuBar and relatives while  HPC, Palm size PC, and straight Windows CE use
    CommandBar_InsertMenuBarEx and relatives. So I suggest you start by finding where your
    code uses CommandBar_InsertMenuBarEx and replacing SHCreateMenuBar and relatives. With a
    bit of luck that will at least get something running so you can track down other
    incompatibilities. With a bit more luck, you won't have too many of those.

For a little extra effort you should be able to use a few #defines that let the same
    source code work for Pocket PC and straight Windows CE. The compiler defines one of the
    following macros when using a Pocket PC SDK
    _WIN32_WCE_PSPC
    WIN32_PLATFORM_PSPC

-----------------------------------------
    To reply to me, remove the underscores (_) from my email address (and please indicate which newsgroup and message).

Robert E. Zaret
    PenFact, Inc.
    20 Park Plaza, Suite 400
    Boston, MA 02116
    www.penfact.com
    r_z_aret@pen_fact.com
    Useful reading (be sure to read its disclaimer first):
       http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Thursday, June 7, 2012 2:00 AM