Joining Datasets across server Boundaries RRS feed

• Question

• User438705957 posted

I am developing in Visual Studio 2013.
    I have decided to migrate my reporting development from Crystal Reports(ASP.net) to the Report Designer in VS.
    This is in part to fall inline with organisational standards and in part because my version of crystal is failing on IE11 (it won't show the toolbar), and I don't want to have to sort it out. I am still using .Net 3.5 for the application in question.

In any case, when using Crystal Reports, I was able to join two datasets on a common key. One dataset came from the enterprise client database, and the other from my own database. The databases live on different servers.

However, I am unable to achieve this using Report Designer, thru either research or poking it with a stick from behind a rock.
    It appears to allow only one dataset at a time to be used in the report on the one details row. I haven't been able to figure out why it allows multiple datasets to be defined in Report Data.

I am a newby to Report Designer, so could someone please can point me in the right direction.

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 11:05 PM

Answers

• User-830595639 posted

Hi,

If you trying to join and then get the result from two dataset then its not possible in SSRS, you have to join the data at database level or may be you have to use some ETL tool to load the data from various source at one place and then you it in your SSRS. But if you have few field to get from the other dataset then you can use Lookupu function which is available from SSRS 2008R2.

I hope this will be helpful for you.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, December 18, 2014 8:11 AM

All replies

• User-830595639 posted

Hi,

If you trying to join and then get the result from two dataset then its not possible in SSRS, you have to join the data at database level or may be you have to use some ETL tool to load the data from various source at one place and then you it in your SSRS. But if you have few field to get from the other dataset then you can use Lookupu function which is available from SSRS 2008R2.

I hope this will be helpful for you.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, December 18, 2014 8:11 AM
  • User438705957 posted

Thankyou Nishantg,

It's disappointing that MS's premier reporting tool can't combine/merge data from different data sources.

However, I was able to get around it by extracting data from one of the data sources into a table in the other data sources database in the code behind.
    I  then joined the two tables using a type datasets table adapter and using that as the data source of the report. Seems to be working thus far.

Cheers

Sunday, December 21, 2014 3:01 PM