Share toast information when connected over via blue tooth?

Question

• Hi,

I do have a windows store app and windows phone app for my application. I was thinking off a scenario to establish a communication between this two apps. Consider a scenario, where I found an article in my windows store app, and want to see it in my windows phone app or vice versa.

So I'm thinking off to notify between both the devices,so that users could see them when his app is not opened. So let us say both devices are Bluetooth enabled, and hence is there a way to show a toast in the device user is willing to,when they are connected via Bluetooth,

This is one way I'm just thinking off, any other ways that could be brought in,are also more helpful.

Please share the possibility of above, and other ways(might be NFC) is one.. But I'm really interested to know about the blue tooth.

Thanks & Regards Tejaswi Chandrapatla

Saturday, October 11, 2014 4:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Teja510,

Let's say if your app is not opened while a Bluetooth device is connected, I did not find any system trigger for device connection in SystemTriggerType enumeration.

However per documentation: Device sync and update for Windows Store device apps, DeviceUseTrigger could be a good choice. With the trigger, you can send a toast notification to your user.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, October 13, 2014 7:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Teja510,

Let's say if your app is not opened while a Bluetooth device is connected, I did not find any system trigger for device connection in SystemTriggerType enumeration.

However per documentation: Device sync and update for Windows Store device apps, DeviceUseTrigger could be a good choice. With the trigger, you can send a toast notification to your user.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, October 13, 2014 7:00 AM
  • Do I need to still  use MPNS/WPNS in that scenario too, for sending the toast, or any other means could be chosen?

Thanks & Regards Tejaswi Chandrapatla

Monday, October 13, 2014 7:31 AM
  • WNS is used to push notification var server, let's say if someone send you a email, email server will push a notification to your device to tell you there is a new message.

For your scenario, it is only the local Bluetooth connection.

--James

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Monday, October 20, 2014 8:11 AM