ADVM in state saved-critical RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

ADVM vm is in state saved-critical. This happened once before, then I reinstalled Azure Stack. Would really like not to do that again.

See image. This happened over night.

Any ideas?

Thursday, May 19, 2016 10:50 AM

Answers

• Cant view the settings of the ADVM since it says configuration files are missing.

I have some spare time today so I will perform a full reinstall of MAS. Will get back t you if this happens again.

Thank you for a fast response!

• Marked as answer by kalasp Friday, June 3, 2016 10:33 AM
    Thursday, June 2, 2016 7:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Kalasp,

Thank you posting here.

Typically saved critical happens when either the storage the VMs are on is out of space or that the VMs lost access to storage. I would suspect the first, is the storage full where all of the VMs are being stored?

Also please verify that your disks are at the same firmware version.

Regards,

Pradeep

Friday, May 20, 2016 3:23 AM
  • Hi,

Any updates?

Regards,
    Malar.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 3:23 AM
  • Nope, reinstalled Azure Stack.

Today a week after the installation I get the same error again.

When I look in: \\sofs\Share\VM , the ADVM folder is missing. I have not removed the ADVM....

Is there any way to restore it, or do I have to reinstall?

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 12:42 PM
  • The AD VM is stored on the C drive of the Azure Stack host machine in the c:\vm\advm directory.  The other VMs including tenant VMs are on the SOFS share.  The reason the ADVM is stored on the local drive is that it is needed to configure the SOFS cluster.  So can you check the amount of space that is available on the C drive of the host OS that you are running Azure Stack on and see how much space is remaining?  I suspect that the local C drive of the Host OS is out of space causing the critical save state.  If that is indeed the case you will need to clear some space on the C: drive and then determine what is causing it to fill up, likely logs or error report data.

Thanks,

-Steve

Steve Linehan | Architect | Microsoft Developer & Platform Evangelism

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 7:35 AM
  • Ok, didnt know that. 

But the weird thing is that I have about 100 gb free on the host machine. And the folder c:\vm doesnt exist. What is going on...

Thursday, June 2, 2016 7:15 AM
  • If you look at the settings of the ADVM VM, assuming it will display them, where does it show the ADVM path to be?  Did you boot from VHD or is this a bare metal install?  The path for the ADVM should be off the root of the host OS drive which unless you have a different drive letter assigned should be C.  How is your OS disk setup, single drive, mirror, something else?  There is no process in the POC that would remove the ADVM so if the directory has gone missing I would run a check disk and also review your system logs to see if you have any indications of a drive failure.

Thanks,

-Steve

Steve Linehan | Principal Program Manager | Microsoft Enterprise Cloud Group

Thursday, June 2, 2016 7:22 AM
  • Cant view the settings of the ADVM since it says configuration files are missing.

I have some spare time today so I will perform a full reinstall of MAS. Will get back t you if this happens again.

Thank you for a fast response!

• Marked as answer by kalasp Friday, June 3, 2016 10:33 AM
    Thursday, June 2, 2016 7:33 AM