none
Connected Factory: how to deploy without the simulation? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

As we're now ingesting telemetry msgs from real devices to the Connected Factory solution, I've been trying to deploy the solution without the Simulation. Mostly I've tried removing the simulation-related steps from the build.ps1 script and the corresponding settings from the ConnectedfactoryMapKey.json file, BUT haven't succeeded so far :/

How can it be deployed without all of the Simulation resources?

Many thanks!

Amparo

Friday, September 13, 2019 8:59 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Amparo,

Could you please share the documentation which you are following for the steps? 

What is the error message you are getting? 

Monday, September 16, 2019 9:54 AM
  • Hi AshokPeddakotla,

Actually I didn't find any guideline in the documentation about how to deploy the solution without the Simulation. That's why I'm asking here for help.

As for the errors, please see below:

VERBOSE: 2019-09-13 11:56:48Z - Deploy all other resources to Azure
    VERBOSE: 11:56:53 AM - Updated resource group 'ccm-cf-dev' in location 'westus'
    VERBOSE: Performing the operation "Creating Deployment" on target "ccm-cf-dev".
    New-AzureRmResourceGroupDeployment : 11:56:56 AM - Error: Code=InvalidDeploymentParameterValue; Message=The value of deployment parameter 'uaSecretThumbprint' is null. Please specify the value or use the parameter
    reference. See https://aka.ms/arm-deploy/#parameter-file for details.
    At C:\dev\repos\azure-iot-connected-factory\build.ps1:2946 char:21
    + ... ArmResult = New-AzureRmResourceGroupDeployment -ResourceGroupName $sc ...
    +                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [New-AzureRmResourceGroupDeployment], Exception
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Azure.Commands.ResourceManager.Cmdlets.Implementation.NewAzureResourceGroupDeploymentCmdlet

New-AzureRmResourceGroupDeployment : The deployment validation failed
    At C:\dev\repos\azure-iot-connected-factory\build.ps1:2946 char:21
    + ... ArmResult = New-AzureRmResourceGroupDeployment -ResourceGroupName $sc ...
    +                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : CloseError: (:) [New-AzureRmResourceGroupDeployment], InvalidOperationException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Azure.Commands.ResourceManager.Cmdlets.Implementation.NewAzureResourceGroupDeploymentCmdlet

C:\dev\repos\azure-iot-connected-factory\build.ps1 : 2019-09-13 11:56:56Z - Resource deployment failed
    At line:1 char:1
    + .\build.ps1 cloud -Configuration debug -DeploymentName CCM-CF-Dev ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,build.ps1

VERBOSE: 11:57:03 AM - Updated resource group 'ccm-cf-dev' in location 'westus'
    Provisioning failed
    At C:\dev\repos\azure-iot-connected-factory\build.ps1:2951 char:5
    +     throw "Provisioning failed"
    +     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : OperationStopped: (Provisioning failed:String) [], RuntimeException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Provisioning failed

At the same time I removed the following entries from ArmParameter (in the build.ps1 script):     
        keyVaultSkuName = $script:KeyVaultSkuName; `
        keyVaultSecretBaseName = $script:UaSecretBaseName; `
        keyVaultVmSecret = $script:UaSecretForVmEncoded; `
        keyVaultWebsiteSecret = $script:UaSecretForWebsiteEncoded; `
        uaSecretThumbprint = $script:UaSecretThumbprint; `
        uaSecretPassword =  $script:UaSecretPassword;

and the corresponding entries from the ConnectedfactoryMapKey.json file as well.

Many thanks,

Amparo

Monday, September 16, 2019 12:23 PM
  • Hi Amparo,

Thanks for the additional information.

I have checked this internally and unfortunately you cannot deploy Connected Factory solution accelerator without the simulation. It is meant to deploy as a set of features to demo the device to insight experience.

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 3:03 PM
  • Ok. Thanks for checking.
    Wednesday, September 18, 2019 3:21 PM