none
VBA Override of Automatic Read Receipt Distribution (Outlook 2010) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, all-

When Outlook (2010) is set to automatically send read receipts for messages that request them, is there any way to programmatically override this behavior and not send a read receipt after a .Display (or similar) call on a specific MailItem with .ReadReceiptRequested = True?

Setting .ReadReceiptRequested = False doesn't work -- the MailItem will report that the value has been changed, but a receipt is sent regardless.  (Not surprising: the DOM reports that .ReadReceiptRequested is read-only for a received MailItem.)

Is there perhaps a way to temporarily switch off and back on Outlook's auto-send-read-receipt behavior?

Thanks,
    Brian

Friday, July 20, 2012 7:18 PM

Answers

• Brian,

I don't think there's API to config this setting, but you can tempararily disable it by setting up registry directly:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Options\Mail

Receipt Response = 1  means disable

Receipt Response = 0 means enable, which is default setting.

thanks.

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Monday, July 23, 2012 8:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Brian,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I will involve some experts into this issue to see whether they can help you. There might be some time delay, appreciate for you patience.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, July 23, 2012 7:29 AM
  • Brian,

I don't think there's API to config this setting, but you can tempararily disable it by setting up registry directly:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Options\Mail

Receipt Response = 1  means disable

Receipt Response = 0 means enable, which is default setting.

thanks.

Monday, July 23, 2012 8:58 AM
  • Forrest,

I think this is probably what I'm looking for, since I couldn't find anything in the API for changing the global Outlook setting.  I shudder a bit at the prospect of making a Registry tweak (two, probably - both to unset and reset auto-receipt-queuing) for a macro as tiny as this, but I might just go with it.  I have a couple of ideas for alternative approaches to try first.

If memory serves, there is an API for the Registry, right?  Is that accessible through any of the References listed in the VBA editor?

Thanks,
    Brian

Monday, July 23, 2012 10:56 AM
  • Yes, VBA is able to read & write registry settings. For details, please read this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/145679

thanks.

Monday, July 23, 2012 4:04 PM