Rolling upgrade in Aysynchronous mode (safety OFF) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am currently in the process of planning an upgrade on a SQL 2005 mirrored db setup where the safety is set to OFF and we are using asynchronous, or high performance mode. There is no monitor server currently in the mirroring configuration.

Unfortunately due to latency issues caused by geographical and bandwidth factors, following the MS advised process of temporarily using full safety or synchronous mode while upgrading the mirror servers is not possible.

I was hoping to find out if a rolling upgrade is possible in any way while staying in asynchronous mode, or if the mirroring would have to be removed, the 2 servers upgraded and then the mirroring re-established.

Cheers,
    Gavan
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 4:01 AM

All replies

• Gavan,

I hope you need to turn off safety in mirrored database, this will allow you to continue asynchronous operation. Try the query below

Code Snippet

ALTER DATABASE [dbname] SET SAFETY OFF

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 6:07 AM
  • Hi Vidhya,

Thanks for the reply however the db is already in that state, as I said.

I am looking for the best practice for a rolling upgrade while the safety is set to off. All the guides I have found say to turn safety on for rolling upgrades, and this is not possible in this case.

Cheers,
    Gavan
    Monday, October 27, 2008 2:24 AM