Background color on sub website RRS feed

• Question

• Using EW4. Adding a sub website (subdomain) to an existing website. I do this by creating a new folder, and changing it to a sub website. The existing website uses a repeating image as a backgound. I want to use a white only background on the sub web. I have tried changing the properties for the sub web, but they don't save. Is there a way to do this?  Thanks.
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 9:17 PM

Answers

• Create a new html page in your subweb.
    It will have a white background.
    Expression Web MVP
    • Marked as answer by ken palmer Thursday, December 29, 2011 11:34 PM
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 9:55 PM

All replies

• The "properties on the subweb"?  I don't know what you meant you tried, but I'm hard pressed to imagine it has anything to do with your page styes.

Background color is set by styles, preferably in an external CSS file attached to the pages in your subweb.  If you want the style to be different from the main site folder, don't use the same style.

For anything more specific, you need to give us a link to your published pages, including the subsite.

Thursday, December 29, 2011 9:44 PM
  • Create a new html page in your subweb.
    It will have a white background.
    Expression Web MVP
    • Marked as answer by ken palmer Thursday, December 29, 2011 11:34 PM
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 9:55 PM
  • My son, the photographer and the owner of the website did just that.  I have a feeling that he did not use the dynamic web template that I made. The site URL is http://www.weddings.photopalmer.com/.  We still have a bunch of work ahead of us, but this was a major hurdle for the "old man".  Thanks.
    Ken Palmer
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 11:40 PM
  • My son, the photographer and the owner of the website did just that.  I have a feeling that he did not use the dynamic web template that I made. The site URL is http://www.weddings.photopalmer.com/.  We still have a bunch of work ahead of us, but this was a major hurdle for the "old man".  Thanks.
    Ken Palmer

Yep, you're correct. There is no template attached to that page. And, well, no offense intended, but if getting a white page background was a "major hurdle," you've got more than a little grief in store for the future. You really need to read the Prerequisites for Using Microsoft Expression Web, then the Learning Resources section of the Forum FAQs and Guidelines - Start Here, to find where to get the free training you will need.

What you cannot do is to ignore the need to learn the technologies of the Web, HTML and CSS, if you expect to have any success in building a commercial business site, which is what that one looks to be meant to be.

I don't know what expectations you came to this with, but let me assure you that Web development is NOT equivalent to desktop publishing for the Web, that you cannot count on the tool to do the work for you, and that you must learn the core Web technologies to use the tool effectively.

Or, since the business of the site is photography, and not Web development, you could hire a professional, spec out the job you want, and have him add training to the bid (and perhaps a lightweight content editing system such as ContentSeed) so that you can update the site yourself. You get what you want, done professionally, with the ability to maintain the site, and without a lot of frustration and a good deal of learning required in a field of endeavor which is not your primary interest. Just sayin'...

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Friday, December 30, 2011 2:01 AM
  • Ken, my answer was correct.  Starting a new page without the DWT doesn't use the existing styles from the DWT, including those determining background.

In short, you and/or your son need to know a whole lot more than you already do if you are building a professional website for a business.  You are asking the questions ... who is actually doing the site?  Whoever that is needs to stop, go to the link Scott mentioned, and learn it.  (Or hire it done.)

Friday, December 30, 2011 6:53 AM