none
Microsoft VoIP sample fails Windows App Certification

Question

• Hello

I am busy developing a VoIP app for Windows Phone 8.1 Silverlight, based off the ChatterBox VoIP WP8.1 Sample app

Our app is failing Store validation. With the following errors:

3011: The package is missing RpalManifest.xml. Update it and then try again.

1028: The native API api-ms-win-core-processthreads-l1-1-2.dll:ExitProcess() isn’t allowed in assembly Seecrypt.BackEnd.ServerHost.exe. Update it and then try again.

When running through the local Windows App Certification Kit (WACK) 3.4, we get the following error:

This API is not supported for this application type - Api=ExitProcess. Module=api-ms-win-core-processthreads-l1-1-2.dll. File=Contoso.BackEnd.ServerHost.exe.

I notice that running Microsoft's own ChatterBox sample application through the WACK fails for the same reason:

This API is not supported for this application type - Api=ExitProcess. Module=api-ms-win-core-processthreads-l1-1-2.dll. File=PhoneVoIP.BackEnd.HostServer.exe.

I also submitted this Microsoft app to the Store to double-check, and it fails for the same reason as ours.

The change in Silverlight 8.0 to Silverlight 8.1 for VoIP apps is that the type of binary for the ActivatableClass extension for the OutOfProcessServer MUST be an .exe for WP8.1. Previously this was a .dll.

I surmise that there is an oversight in MSFT's handling of the certification where they are not correctly matching allowed API calls with exe's as part of the app payload for 8.1 apps.

Can someone please advise as we are unable to update our application on the Windows Phone Store. Moving to Windows Phone 8.1 Silverlight is a requirement for our team.

Friday, January 9, 2015 12:17 PM

Answers

• Take a look at this other thread. MSFT seems to now be aware of this issue and it looks like they will not be supporting WP8.1 w.r.t. VoIP applications:

EDIT: Marked as answer as MSFT rep is updating the other thread with progress on getting the sample working without restricted APIs. Hopefully this will work out!

• Marked as answer by dinofizz Friday, January 23, 2015 9:06 PM
    • Edited by dinofizz Friday, January 23, 2015 9:07 PM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2015 6:06 AM

All replies

• Hello Dinofizz,

This message means that API calls are not permitted via an external file such as a DLL or EXE.

Modern UI and Phone apps are more restrictive on what is permitted when compared with a desktop app.

-Eric

Windows and Windows Phone Dev Center Support

Send us your feedback about the Windows Platform

Friday, January 9, 2015 8:54 PM
  • Hi Eric

Yes I understand that is what the error message is saying. However for Windows Phone 8.1 Silverlight the only way to create a VoIP app is to use an exe. This is how it is demonstrated in the ChatterBox sample app by Microsoft above, and also stated on the Microsoft platform compatibility page:

OutOfProc ActivatableClasses cannot specify a DLL as the server path except for VoIP and FBH PPLE

In Windows Phone 8, you can specify a DLL as an OutOfProcessServer forActivatableClasses. This is acceptable in the WMAppManifest.xml, but a DLL is not acceptable in the AppX manifest, and it fails schema validation. The AppX manifest requires an EXE and there's no way to specify an EXE host with a given DLL server. The app must be updated to use an EXE as the OutOfProcessServer. Apps using Windows Runtime OutOfProc activation must use a custom host and remove the run-time statements that explicitly register the Windows Runtime classes or the activation factories from within their app code.

Saturday, January 10, 2015 6:52 AM
  • Hi,

I'm running into exactly the same problem! Either the ChatterBox sample app from MS is incorrect in using an exe as OutOfProcessServer in the first place or the Windows App Certification is is at fault.

Either way MS must take action here: either provide an updated ChatterBox sample that only uses mechanisms that pass the certification tests, or update the tests to allow for this situation.

Friday, January 16, 2015 2:54 PM
  • Take a look at this other thread. MSFT seems to now be aware of this issue and it looks like they will not be supporting WP8.1 w.r.t. VoIP applications:

EDIT: Marked as answer as MSFT rep is updating the other thread with progress on getting the sample working without restricted APIs. Hopefully this will work out!

• Marked as answer by dinofizz Friday, January 23, 2015 9:06 PM
    • Edited by dinofizz Friday, January 23, 2015 9:07 PM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2015 6:06 AM