none
Unable to launch EXE from Web API after deploying to IIS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I would like to launch exe on a server machine using web api.

This works during development mode and wont work after deploying to IIS.

I can not separate modules from exe and use it. I have only one way that is to call exe when i get a request from web.

This is not working after with windows service as well after installing the service.

Can you please suggest if there are any other ways.

Is this a limitation from Microsoft .Net Framework ?

Thanks,

Sampath.

Thursday, September 26, 2019 6:44 AM

Answers

• Hi gsampath127, 

Thank you for posting here.

According to your description, your issue is more related to ASP.NET. Therefore, it will be more appropriate to ask your question in ASP.NET Forums.

The CLR Forum discuss and ask questions about .NET Framework Base Classes (BCL) such as Collections, I/O, Regigistry, Globalization, Reflection. Also discuss all the other Microsoft libraries that are built on or extend the .NET Framework.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Xingyu Zhao

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by gsampath127 Monday, September 30, 2019 4:39 AM
    Friday, September 27, 2019 1:43 AM

All replies

• Why do you need to launch an exe from a web api?   What error are you getting?  It is not a normal to launch exe from web projects.
    Thursday, September 26, 2019 8:10 AM
  • There are surprisingly quite some reason to run .EXE on web projects.

Say, the Magick.NET project is a wrapper for running the ImageMagicK v7 EXE for the specified tasks instead of line-by-line port of the library.

Btw, unless the EXE he want to run requires special permission, I think the "not working" is because the EXE is launched to "Session 0" instead of console session on server. He should be able to see the process in task manager with "showing process for all users".

Thursday, September 26, 2019 8:47 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi gsampath127, 

Thank you for posting here.

According to your description, your issue is more related to ASP.NET. Therefore, it will be more appropriate to ask your question in ASP.NET Forums.

The CLR Forum discuss and ask questions about .NET Framework Base Classes (BCL) such as Collections, I/O, Regigistry, Globalization, Reflection. Also discuss all the other Microsoft libraries that are built on or extend the .NET Framework.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Xingyu Zhao

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by gsampath127 Monday, September 30, 2019 4:39 AM
    Friday, September 27, 2019 1:43 AM