[UWP][C#]Simple Button Question RRS feed

• Question

• I'm wondering how to make a button the settings Icon from Segoe MDL2 Assets, instead of a button with the settings icon inside of it as the content. Right now, I have a button that has the content set to the settings button, but the background is still a grey button when highlighted and a bit rigid as seen below.

Xaml

<Button FontFamily="Segoe MDL2 Assets" Content="&#xE115;" FontSize="12" Click="Button_Click" Background="{ThemeResource SystemControlAcrylicWindowBrush}" RequestedTheme="Default"/>

I'm wondering how to make the button the Settings / cogwheel itself instead of a square button with a cogwheel inside of it?

Sunday, February 18, 2018 9:32 PM

Answers

• Hello PumpedUpKicks91,

Anyway, try putting Style="{ThemeResource TextBlockButtonStyle}" property in the XAML instead of Background="...".

<Button FontFamily="Segoe MDL2 Assets" Content="&#xE115;" FontSize="12" Click="Button_Click"
            Style="{ThemeResource TextBlockButtonStyle}" RequestedTheme="Default"/>
    Sunday, February 18, 2018 11:43 PM

All replies

• Hello PumpedUpKicks91,

Anyway, try putting Style="{ThemeResource TextBlockButtonStyle}" property in the XAML instead of Background="...".

<Button FontFamily="Segoe MDL2 Assets" Content="&#xE115;" FontSize="12" Click="Button_Click"
            Style="{ThemeResource TextBlockButtonStyle}" RequestedTheme="Default"/>
    Sunday, February 18, 2018 11:43 PM
  • Thanks, that's what I was looking for. The color of the button (cogwheel) is now blue, but that's okay with me. I'm not sure how to customize the color/scroll-over options for the colors but If I look around enough I'll probably figure it out.
    Sunday, February 18, 2018 11:57 PM
  • Thank you. If you'd like to customize it further, define a Style based on the TextBlockButtonStyle.

e.g.

<Page.Resources>
            <Style x:Key="SophisticatedTextBlockButtonStyle" TargetType="ButtonBase" 
    BasedOn="{StaticResource TextBlockButtonStyle}"> <Setter Property="Foreground" Value="{ThemeResource ButtonForeground}" /> </Style> </Page.Resources> <Button FontFamily="Segoe MDL2 Assets" Content="&#xE115;" FontSize="12" Click="Button_Click" Style="{StaticResource SophisticatedTextBlockButtonStyle}">

If you want to alter animations, you may need to overhaul the huge ControlTemplate including a lot of VisualStates. In anyway, staring at the acutal TextBlockButtonStyle defined in generic.xaml, consider how to tackle it!

Monday, February 19, 2018 2:24 AM
  • Awesome, thank you. I sincerely appreciate your time and advice. I'm saving developing the animations for last xD. As far as those go, right now I feel like Gandalf is standing in the way ("you shall not pass!"). You don't happen to have a pet balrog do ya? 
    Wednesday, February 21, 2018 2:27 AM