How do I get Visual Studio 2008 to use ML64.EXE instead of ML.EXE in an x64 Build? RRS feed

• Question

• I am including an x64 ASM file in my x64 project, but Visual Studio seems to want to use ML.EXE instead of ML64.EXE.  Any idea how I change that to ML64.EXE for x64 projects but leave it as ML.EXE for x86 projects?  Thanks.

Monday, August 2, 2010 8:16 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Neil,

Please check the command line in Custom Build step and Build events. Do you put command line to use ML64.exe to compile x64 project? You can add an x64 build configuration and let it use ML64.exe. The x86 project keeps using the default ML.exe.

Sincerely,

Kira Qian

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 2:59 AM
  • I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side. Could you please let me know if the suggestion works for you? If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework!
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 9:12 AM
  • Using Visual Studio 2008. Bring up the Properties window (x64) for the ASM file and you see this:

prop1.jpg (new window)

Then when you look at the Command Line, you can add parameters but you can't change it using ML.EXE.

prop2.jpg (new window)

Am I missing something?

Thanks for the reply.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 1:42 PM
  • My UI seems a little different from yours. I have added all my step screen shot in the following document.

http://cid-ee362b84156dcc82.office.live.com/view.aspx/MSDN/Picture/VSAsmOption.doc

First you need to run VS as admin in order to modify the build rule file under C partition. If you have anything unclear, please feel free to tell me.

Sincerely,

Kira Qian

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework!
    • Marked as answer by Neil Weicher Wednesday, August 11, 2010 8:52 PM
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 1:47 AM
  • Thanks! That worked.  Actually, I ended up creating a new rules file: masm64.rules so that I could use ml.exe for x86 configurations and ml64.exe for x64 configurations.  (Question: can I use ml64.exe for both?)

If you want both rules you need to make sure that Name= and DisplayName= are unique between the two files. 
    E.g., "Microsoft Macro Assembler" for one ane "Microsoft Macro Assembler x64" for the other.

• Marked as answer by Neil Weicher Wednesday, August 11, 2010 8:52 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Neil Weicher Wednesday, August 11, 2010 8:52 PM
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 8:51 PM