The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Azure App Service - Web Apps!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

Can't Restore a Web App Across Different Subscriptions RRS feed

• Question

• From @stegothedump via Twitter:

"Why can I not restore a web site across different subscriptions on Azure? Have a site backed up via azure portal. Trying to restore to another site and get errors...old and new portal."

Error in Azure Portal:

• {"Code":"BadRequest","Message":"Error occurred while downloading meta data from the storage account.","Target":null,"Details":[{"Message":"Error occurred while downloading meta data from the storage account."},{"Code":"BadRequest"},{"ErrorEntity":{"Code":"BadRequest","Message":"Error occurred while downloading meta data from the storage account.","ExtendedCode":"54100","MessageTemplate":"Error occurred while downloading meta data from the storage account.","Parameters":[],"InnerErrors":null}}],"Innererror":null}

Error in Classic Portal:

• Could not discover backup for the web app. Error message: 'Bad Request'.

Customer referred to comment about similar error located here: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/documentation/articles/web-sites-restore/#comment-2469627137 

Thanks,

@AzureSupport

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 10:22 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for posting here!

Just wanted to confirm if both subscriptions are under same region or different regions?

In order to restore to other App, you can select existing App to restore the App backup to another app in the same resource group. Before you use this option, you should have already created another App in your resource group with all mirroring database configuration if you have any in your existing App to the one defined in the app backup.

Also, you may want to check the RESTful API for restoring Web Apps to different App.

Regards,

Ashok

Thursday, May 5, 2016 1:34 PM
  • Hi Ashok,

The subscriptions are in the same region (North Europe).

Clearly these would not be in the same resource group as they are in different subscriptions??

I am not trying to back databases, purely the website. I'm curious as other people seem to have done as detailed in link above...

S

Thursday, May 5, 2016 2:03 PM
  • Hello,

As you are trying to restore your App between two different subscriptions, you may contact billing and support team for better assistance and it's a free service.

Regards,

Ashok

Thursday, May 5, 2016 5:16 PM
  • Is that it? Is that the support over? I now need to go somewhere else and give all the same info all over again?

Stephen

Thursday, May 5, 2016 7:50 PM
  • Hi Stephen,

This is Ahmed from the product team.
    We are aware of the issue and we are working on solving the issue

-Ahmed

Friday, May 6, 2016 6:43 PM
  • Hi Stephen,

This is now fixed, can you please try it again?

-Ahmed

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 10:15 PM