none
Export Office 2013 App for company internal testing RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all,

we are just starting to try to develop apps for Excel 2013. Thus far everythings works fine, when we are starting it out of Visual Studio 2012.

For our company, we need a way to export apps built by developers and test them on other computers. Going the deployment process over the store is not sufficient for us.

But now I want to test that app on another computer (company internal), but I can't figure out, how to do it. Most wantedly, I like to export a package (e.g. ZIP) and install that on another computers excel. Is this possible at all?

I also tried to use a (trial) Sharepoint 365 instance to upload the app to the app catalogue, but this doesn't work right now, because I am getting an error, that the App cannot be added to the website-content of the app catalogue, so the app won't show up  inside the excel apps. I don't have any clue, how to figure out, what is wrong about my test app.

Any held appreciated!

Regards,

Jonas

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 1:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Jonas,

>>So do I get it right, that apps are ALWAYS hosted somewhere else, but never on the user computer (e.g. via internal IIS)? <<

The web application in this app for Excel need to host on a web server and make sure the user can access this application through web browser. It is not important whether the web application is hosting on any computer.

>>when I upload apps to the app store - are they then hosted by microsoft or do I have to take care of it by myself as well?<<

Office provides the ability for end-users to discover solutions directly from a public marketplace hosted on Office.com. The Office Store provides a convenient location for developers to upload new app solutions aimed both at consumers and businesses. As a developer, when you upload your app to the public marketplace, Microsoft runs some validation checks on it. For example, it checks whether the app manifest markup is valid and complete and verifies that any included SharePoint solution packages (.wsp files) do not include disallowed elements or features that have a scope broader than Web. If all tests are passed, the app package is wrapped into a file and signed by Microsoft.

For more information about how to publish an app to the Office Store, see Publish apps for Office and SharePoint  to the Microsoft Seller Dashboard.

Hope this helps.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by JFX-Mate Wednesday, July 30, 2014 11:53 AM
    Wednesday, July 30, 2014 9:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Jonas,

There are two parts in an app for Excel (Content app or Task Pane app).

1. Web application

You need to create a web server for this web application to host. You could set up a web server based on an Intranet platform or on your own machine, please make sure the test computer should access this application.

2. Manifest

According to Publishing your app for Office, you can publish the manifest for apps for Excel with one of following ways:

Publishing to the Office Store
    Publishing task pane and content apps to an app catalog
    Publishing task pane and content apps to a shared network folder

Publishing mail apps to Exchange Server

In this case, you can publish manifest to an app catalog or a shared network folder.

Hope this helps.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 5:35 AM
  • Hi George!

Thanks for your answer!

So do I get it right, that apps are ALWAYS hosted somewhere else, but never on the user computer (e.g. via internal IIS)? 

Additionally, when I upload apps to the app store - are they then hosted by microsoft or do I have to take care of it by myself as well?

Regards,

Jonas

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 8:50 AM
  • Hi Jonas,

>>So do I get it right, that apps are ALWAYS hosted somewhere else, but never on the user computer (e.g. via internal IIS)? <<

The web application in this app for Excel need to host on a web server and make sure the user can access this application through web browser. It is not important whether the web application is hosting on any computer.

>>when I upload apps to the app store - are they then hosted by microsoft or do I have to take care of it by myself as well?<<

Office provides the ability for end-users to discover solutions directly from a public marketplace hosted on Office.com. The Office Store provides a convenient location for developers to upload new app solutions aimed both at consumers and businesses. As a developer, when you upload your app to the public marketplace, Microsoft runs some validation checks on it. For example, it checks whether the app manifest markup is valid and complete and verifies that any included SharePoint solution packages (.wsp files) do not include disallowed elements or features that have a scope broader than Web. If all tests are passed, the app package is wrapped into a file and signed by Microsoft.

For more information about how to publish an app to the Office Store, see Publish apps for Office and SharePoint  to the Microsoft Seller Dashboard.

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by JFX-Mate Wednesday, July 30, 2014 11:53 AM
    Wednesday, July 30, 2014 9:19 AM