none
Warnings displayed twice in Visual Studio 2015 [RESOLVED]

Question

• Hi,

Does anyone know why Visual Studio 2015 is displaying all my warnings twice in the Error List window?  They only appear once in the Build Output window, and the same project when built with Visual Studio 2013 doesn't do it, so it seems to be a new problem.   It's a native C++ project, and I'm building just one configuration / platform combination.

Example - Error list:

Build Output:

1>------ Build started: Project: VinylStudio, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
    1>Build started 04/01/2016 09:47:27.
    1>     1>
    1>ClCompile:
    1>         All outputs are up-to-date.
    1>         BurnDialog.cpp
    1>     1>
    1>g:\source\vinylstudio\v8_81\burndialog.cpp(3206): warning TODO: and other non-WAV formats - DVDs
    1>
    1>Build succeeded.
    1>
    1>Time Elapsed 00:00:01.05
    ========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Thanks for any insight, it's bugging me - Paul Sanders.

Paul Sanders

Monday, January 04, 2016 10:13 AM

Answers

• Hi Paul Sanders,

Did you install the VS2015 update 1?

If you reset your VS settings, how about the result? I just test it using the default settings.

TOOLS->Import and Export Settings Wizard->Reset all settings->select “No, just reset settings, overwriting my current settings”->Choose a Default Collection of settings.

And then clean and rebuild this solution, how about the result?

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, January 08, 2016 6:32 AM

All replies

• Hi Paul Sanders,

If the same app has this issue just in the VS2015 version, but it was normally in VS2013, I agree with you, it would be a real issue.

>> It's a native C++ project, and I'm building just one configuration / platform combination.

As my understanding, you open the same project(maybe it is the VS2013 project) in your VS2015, am I right?

If you change the project property "platform toolset" under your VS2015, I mean that you could use different  platform toolset(v14.0/v12.0) if you installed the VS2013 and VS2015 in the same machine, and then clean and rebuild your app, how about the result?

For this issue, if possible, you could test it using different VS2015 machines, if it really has this issue, submit a feedback would be better for this issue.You can submit this feedback to Microsoft Connect feedback portal: http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx,Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously. Thanks for your understanding.

In addition, if possible, you could share a simple sample in your connect report, so the report team experts could really repro this issue, of course, I will also download and repro it in my side, if I get the same issue as yours, I will help you vote your report. If you have no Environments to test it, you could share me a simple sample using one drive, I will test it using the same Environment as yours. 

If there's any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, January 06, 2016 2:56 AM
  • Hi Jack,

Thanks for getting back to me.

It does it in a trivially simple project created from scratch and using the default settings for a native C++ Win32 app.  Errors are displayed twice too.  I am running a fresh install of VS 2015 Update 1, using the Web installer from MSDN.

I think it's just a bug.  I'll submit feedback, although it should be pretty obvious to anyone.  I don't use One Drive but there's a project that does it here:

http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/private/vs_warnings_and_errors_displayed_twice.zip

Paul Sanders

Wednesday, January 06, 2016 8:16 AM
  • Hi Paul,

>>I think it's just a bug.  I'll submit feedback, although it should be pretty obvious to anyone. 

If you submit a feedback for this issue, please share us the link here, so we could also get the latest information from the report team experts.

>>I don't use One Drive but there's a project that does it here:

http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/private/vs_warnings_and_errors_displayed_twice.zip

Could you share me a screen shot about the result(Warnings displayed twice ) for this specific project?

The real issue is that I open the .sln file directly, and then clean and rebuild this project, I just get one warning in my side.

Firstly, I got the whole project sample from you, am I right? If not, maybe you could share all project files.

Secondly, I use the VS2015 Enterprise version with update 1 on windows 10 machine. Whether you and me use the same VS and windows Environment?

If I have misunderstood this issue, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,

Jack

Thursday, January 07, 2016 3:02 AM
  • Hi Jack,

Here's your screenshot:

I'm running VS 2015 Professional on Windows 8.1 Enterprise.

You have the entire project.

Paul Sanders

Thursday, January 07, 2016 8:43 AM
  • Hi Paul Sanders,

Did you install the VS2015 update 1?

If you reset your VS settings, how about the result? I just test it using the default settings.

TOOLS->Import and Export Settings Wizard->Reset all settings->select “No, just reset settings, overwriting my current settings”->Choose a Default Collection of settings.

And then clean and rebuild this solution, how about the result?

Best Regards,

Jack

Friday, January 08, 2016 6:32 AM
  • Well, you were right.  It was something in the settings.

In the end, after a morning of exporting settings, pretty-printing the resulting rather messy XML, reordering sections that were output in different sequences in different exports for some reason and finally comparing settings that worked with settings that didn't in WinMerge, I discovered that the problem is actually a very simple one:

In Menu -> Tools -> Options -> Projects and Solutions -> Build and Run, change 'MSBuild project build output verbosity' from Normal to Minimal.

The problem then goes away.

Perhaps I should have thought of that, but it would help a lot with this kind of thing if Visual Studio

• pretty-printed the XML in .vssettings files
    • output sections in a consistent order

Pass these observations along if you like.  Perhaps the second is difficult to achieve.

Thanks for your help.  Can the box I'm typing in be made resizable please.

Paul Sanders

Friday, January 08, 2016 1:02 PM
  • Hi Paul Sanders,

Glad to know that you have resolved this issue. If so, would you please mark the useful reply as the answer? So It would be helpful for other members who get the same issue as yours.

In addition, you know that one thread for one issue, if you have other VS IDE usage issue, please feel free to open a new case in our forum. We will follow up it in time.

Thank you for your support and co-operation.

Have a nice day,

Jack

Monday, January 11, 2016 2:58 AM
  • Yep, done that.  Thx.

Paul Sanders

Monday, January 11, 2016 3:11 AM