ImmersiveRemoteDesktop and native Win32-DLL

Question

• Hi,

we developed a Win32 DLL that was designed to be loaded by the RDP clients of previous Windowses (MSTSC.exe) by registering it under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client\Default\AddIns.

Now for Windows 8 there is this new Metro style RDP client "Immersive Remote Desktop". Our DLL still gets loaded but seems to have no rights to access any of the normal files, registry entries, printers etc. I take it that this is because of the reduced subset of the Win32 API for Metro apps.

Is there any chance to leave this "sandbox" to provide the additional functionality for our users?

And if we actually decide to develop a completely new DLL (Metro style), what capabilities are we allowed to use within the Metro-RDP environment?

(How come that the Metro-RDP client is allowed to load DLLs from Windows\System32 anyway?)

Best regards,

Lars

Thursday, January 26, 2012 9:08 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Lars,

Could you please file a connect bug on this issue for the RDP team to investigate please?

Let me know once you have the bug filed. Filing instructions are located here.

Thanks,

-David

Friday, January 27, 2012 8:59 PM
  • Hi David,

the bug is filed - I hope. (It does not show on my profile activity though.)

Regards,

Lars

Monday, January 30, 2012 9:45 AM
  • Thanks Lars! As you mentioned, It will not be listed as you mentioned. I did verify it was opened in our bug database.
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 6:41 PM
  • Has there been any feedback from development on Lar's questions?  RDP launched from the Metro interface is not working with our addin as described above.  Is there another location to track this bug's progress?

Thank you,

Larry

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 3:47 PM