User - Status Indicator, Updatable by any user RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking to have a list of users that have a status indicator next to the users name. The status indicator needs to be changeable by anyone, or at least the sight user. A simple red circle or green cicle are all the status indicator options needed. Any suggestions on how to implement this would be great.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 7:24 PM

Answers

• Hi HKp30,

I am assuming that by status indicators you mean the presence information from office communicator.

If your organization uses Office Live Communicator Server (LCS) and the SharePoint installation is integrated with Active Directory  with windows authentication (all sharepoint end users are present in active directory having valid accounts setup in LCS), then it is quite possible to have presence info against the users (just the way you see in Outlook in which case Exchange integrates with LCS)

All you need to do is create a custom list and add a column with the type 'Person or Group'. Give a suitable name to your column and at the bottom of the column creation page, you will find a "Show Field" property in which you need to select the 'Name with Presence' option. Click 'OK' once you are done defining this column.

Now your list should have this field added and when you open the list edit/create forms, you will see this field with a people picker which actually refers to the  directory service (AD/LDAP etc). However, I guess presence information will only be available if AD and LCS/Windows Messaging is available within the network.

• Marked as answer by Porter Wang Thursday, November 25, 2010 8:04 AM
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, November 26, 2010 1:53 PM Sig removed. Asks people to mark the post as answer
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 8:19 PM

All replies

• Hi HKp30,

I am assuming that by status indicators you mean the presence information from office communicator.

If your organization uses Office Live Communicator Server (LCS) and the SharePoint installation is integrated with Active Directory  with windows authentication (all sharepoint end users are present in active directory having valid accounts setup in LCS), then it is quite possible to have presence info against the users (just the way you see in Outlook in which case Exchange integrates with LCS)

All you need to do is create a custom list and add a column with the type 'Person or Group'. Give a suitable name to your column and at the bottom of the column creation page, you will find a "Show Field" property in which you need to select the 'Name with Presence' option. Click 'OK' once you are done defining this column.

Now your list should have this field added and when you open the list edit/create forms, you will see this field with a people picker which actually refers to the  directory service (AD/LDAP etc). However, I guess presence information will only be available if AD and LCS/Windows Messaging is available within the network.

• Marked as answer by Porter Wang Thursday, November 25, 2010 8:04 AM
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, November 26, 2010 1:53 PM Sig removed. Asks people to mark the post as answer
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 8:19 PM
  • I appreciate the response!

This is close to what i'm looking for, however instead of the users communicator status I need  basicly a Red light or Green Light, or a Yes or No that that is updatable by the user.

A user on the network should be able visin the sharepoint, see their name and update the status to yes/no or red/green.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 9:06 PM
  • Sridhar Bommana:

Please amend your sig

"Cheers! Sridhar.. If you find this post helpful, please click the 'Vote as Helpful' link. If this post answers your question, click the 'Mark As Answered' link below. It helps others who experience the same issue in future to find the solution."

by removing the following text

"If you find this post helpful, please click the 'Vote as Helpful' link. If this post answers your question, click the 'Mark As Answered' link below. It helps others who experience the same issue in future to find the solution."

It is not acceptable for people to try to gain points for themselves in this way by pushing other people into marking their posts.

(Moderator)

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Friday, November 26, 2010 2:02 PM