none
Can't install .Net 4.0 - tries to install from secondary drive. RRS feed

• Question

• It keeps trying to install from my K: drive, which was my old primary HD.  After I re-installed the OS on the new HD,  I wiped the old HD.  But now I get this error whenever I try to install .Net Framework 4.0:

OS Version = 6.1.7601, Platform 2, Service Pack 1
    OS Description = Windows 7 - x64 Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1

CommandLine = K:\ad5fd7677d6d4f046162982a2b6e\\Setup.exe /x86 /x64
    Using Simultaneous Download and Install mechanism
    Operation: Installing
    Package Name = Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup
    Package Version = 4.0.30319
    User Experience Data Collection Policy: AlwaysUploaded
    Number of applicable items: 11
    Exe (K:\ad5fd7677d6d4f046162982a2b6e\SetupUtility.exe) succeeded.
    Exe Log File: dd_SetupUtility.txt
    ServiceControl operation succeeded!
    Exe (K:\ad5fd7677d6d4f046162982a2b6e\Windows6.1-KB958488-v6001-x64.msu) failed with 0x240006 - (null).
    Exe (K:\ad5fd7677d6d4f046162982a2b6e\SetupUtility.exe) succeeded.
    MSI (K:\ad5fd7677d6d4f046162982a2b6e\netfx_Core_x64.msi) Installation failed. Msi Log: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20120917_222246756-MSI_netfx_Core_x64.msi.txt
    Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x80070643), "Fatal error during installation. " (Elapsed time: 0 00:00:58).
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 5:39 AM

Answers

• Well, I didn't cancel the update so I'm not sure why it says that.

As for your instructions, I have the OS on one HD, always have.   It's just that at one point I replaced my HD and set up the old primary drive as a slave drive before wiping it.  Turns out that didn't actually have anything to do with the problem.

I did some research and tried various troubleshooting steps and fixes.  While they found some corrupt/damaged system files and fixed them, none of them actually let me install .Net Framework 4.0. 

What finally worked was the solution by irarab here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/netfxsetup/thread/3cc78f3c-d782-4f90-9035-1b6675890af7 ht

Basically,  I went to "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET" and renamed the "Assembly" folder to "Assembly2" and ran the .Net Framework 4.0 installation again.  This time it installed successfully.

Friday, September 21, 2012 4:58 PM

All replies

• Try using the standalone installer by following these steps:

Follow ALL these steps exactly:

Before trying to install .NET Framework 4.0, execute this command from an ELEVATED Command Prompt provided by the .NET Framework Team:

"This issue is likely caused by a bad ACL on assembly\tmp folder. After installing updates, the ACL propagates to installed assembly folders in both 4.0 & legacy GAC.  If those updates were installed by WU or another user, the propagated ACL will prevent install of the same assembly by the current user.

A work around would be to reset the ACL on GAC dirs.

for /F %D in ('dir %WINDIR%\assembly %WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\assembly /s /b /a:d') do takeown /F %D && icacls %D /reset /T"

After running that command, follow these steps:

Please follow these instructions exactly:

1. Download a fresh copy of the standalone installer for .NET Framework 4.0:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17718

2. Also, clear your %temp% directory and disable your AV software.

The %temp% directory is a reference to the Temp folder associated with the current user. To clear it, do the following:

Sign on to your system with the Administrator user account you will use to run the installer. Click the Start Orb and type %temp% in the search box. The search results will show the Temp folder you want. Click on the Temp folder to open it in Windows Explorer, then delete the entire contents.

3. Run the standalone installer from step 1 As Administrator.

Note: Just using an administrator account is NOT enough. To activate full privileges, you must right-click the installer, then select Run as administrator.

If the install fails, provide complete install logs as follows:

Please collect your install logs with this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=E0DA314F-6216-4A18-BC6B-7D29CF83AF20&displaylang=e&displaylang=en

After you run Collect.exe, you'll find vslogs.cab in your %temp% directory. Please upload vslogs.cab to a public site, like SkyDrive, and post the link here.

• Proposed as answer by shaunlin Saturday, April 20, 2013 4:16 PM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 12:25 PM
  • OK,  I logged in with the Administrator account and followed your instructions, but it still tries to unpack to the K: drive and fails on installing.

Here's the Skydrive Link with the vslogs.cab file:  https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=EFE78EDB23B9C12B&id=EFE78EDB23B9C12B%21105

Thanks fore the suggestion though, and I hope the log gives a clue to the problem.   I do have the original install CD for the OS, if that helps.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 2:51 PM
  • Unfortunately, your logs reveal that the actual install never started. The failure is that your system insists the K: drive exists.

This indicates a Windows 7 system configuration/registry  issue which will be best addressed in the MS Answers forums for Windows 7, here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7

I suggest you post the details of the drive removal and subsequent issues there for best help. If it becomes necessary, they can also help you with OS repair/reinstall.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 6:20 PM
  • Well, to test that I disabled my secondary drives and booted up with just the primary HD and repeated the troubleshooting steps above.   It attempted installation from the C: drive and failed at the same point.  The secondary HD doesn't seem to be the issue after all.

Here's the log from the latest attempt: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=EFE78EDB23B9C12B&id=EFE78EDB23B9C12B%21105

OS Version = 6.1.7601, Platform 2, Service Pack 1
    OS Description = Windows 7 - x64 Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1
    CommandLine = C:\032c72cd1c9af3174fa1e7c2\\Setup.exe /x86 /x64
    Using Simultaneous Download and Install mechanism
    Operation: Installing
    Package Name = Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup
    Package Version = 4.0.30319
    User Experience Data Collection Policy: AlwaysUploaded
    Number of applicable items: 11
    Exe (C:\032c72cd1c9af3174fa1e7c2\SetupUtility.exe) succeeded.
    Exe (C:\032c72cd1c9af3174fa1e7c2\Windows6.1-KB958488-v6001-x64.msu) failed with 0x240006 - (null).
    Exe (C:\032c72cd1c9af3174fa1e7c2\SetupUtility.exe) succeeded.
    MSI (C:\032c72cd1c9af3174fa1e7c2\netfx_Core_x64.msi) Installation failed. Msi Log: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20120918_221731922-MSI_netfx_Core_x64.msi.txt
    Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x80070643), "Fatal error during installation. " (Elapsed time: 0 00:00:43).

Any suggestions would be appreciated, I'm at a loss.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 5:46 AM
  • Hi RusselGS,

Thanks for your post.

I've found your latest error but this is not the same to your logs:

Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x80070642), "User cancelled installation. " (Elapsed time: 0 00:00:09)

This error indicates that you canceled the installation yourself. I'm confused about it because this is not the error.

I recommend you follow some instructions here:

1. Please keep your OS on one HD and make sure you won't manually remove any disk which you have installed any software on it. It is not supported for your OS to specify them again.

2. The error from your first post indicates that some applications are already corrupt becasue your "wipe" step, e.g.,NET 4. In my opinion, it is better to save some of your data on a protable HD then reinstall your OS.

3. For more details about how to manage your OS safely, MVP mentioned the right forum for you.

Regards,

Barry Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 7:01 AM
  • Well, I didn't cancel the update so I'm not sure why it says that.

As for your instructions, I have the OS on one HD, always have.   It's just that at one point I replaced my HD and set up the old primary drive as a slave drive before wiping it.  Turns out that didn't actually have anything to do with the problem.

I did some research and tried various troubleshooting steps and fixes.  While they found some corrupt/damaged system files and fixed them, none of them actually let me install .Net Framework 4.0. 

What finally worked was the solution by irarab here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/netfxsetup/thread/3cc78f3c-d782-4f90-9035-1b6675890af7 ht

Basically,  I went to "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET" and renamed the "Assembly" folder to "Assembly2" and ran the .Net Framework 4.0 installation again.  This time it installed successfully.

Friday, September 21, 2012 4:58 PM
  • hi pvdg42,

TQ for your guide! im having the same problem as RussellGS which .net framework keep refers to old drive even i'd moved the installer to another drive earlier before. i manage to install the .net framework 4.0 after performed the above command, which to reset the ACL on GAC dirs. then, follows exactly steps that you'd provided and it was successful.

TQ again. cheers !

Saturday, April 20, 2013 4:27 PM