none
Is support for Montenegrin language coming? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear team,

I just found out that the official language of Montenegro, Montenegrin, is not currently supported.

When Serbia and Montenegro were divided (around 2006), Serbia country code changed to RS (it was CS when it was merged with Montenegro), and languages were also divided into: sr-Cyrl-RS, sr-Latn-RS (for Serbia) and sr-Latn-ME, sr-Cyrl-ME (for Montenegro). But I think Montenegrin became the official language of Montenegro with the ratification of a new constitution on 22 October 2007.

I think the standard was only introduced around January 2018, as stated here (not sure though):

https://www.iana.org/assignments/lang-subtags-templates/lang-subtags-templates.xhtml

Is this planned to be introduced in Windows so we can use it in applications?

Thank you,

Fernando

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 12:59 PM

Answers

• Hi Fernando, We are aware “cnr” was added to ISO-639-3 in 2018. Our systems do not currently support “Montenegrin” language code for Windows display, input, or localized language pack. Our global language support team have confirmed, that at this time, we do not have plans to add Montenegrin, which is considered a dialect of Serbo-Croatian language, for either user interface or proofing tools. It would be good to understand where exactly Serbian and Croatian languages are falling short in addressing your needs. We serve the Montenegro market with Serbian (Latin & Cyrillic) and Croatian languages. In case you would like to make a formal request on the evaluation of adding support of Montenegrin language in Windows and/or other applications, please send us a message at dochelp [ at ] Microsoft [dot] com with a solid business justification. Please make sure to include what kind of support is requested and articulate the expected impact. Thanks, Edgar
    Friday, July 19, 2019 8:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Fernando, 

Thanks for your question about Montenegrin language support. One of the Open Specification support staff will respond to you shortly to assist you with this. 

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Sr Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 7:52 PM
  • Hi,

We are reviewing this and will respond soon.

Thanks,

Edgar

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 8:30 PM
  • Hi Fernando,

Regarding Montenegrin language "cnr" you are inquiring about:

Can you please clarify, when you say "Is this planned to be introduced in Windows so we can use it in applications?"

Are you asking for a fully localized Windows OS (language pack)?

Or are you asking about support for the display and keyboard language?

Thanks,

Edgar 

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 10:16 PM
  • Hi Fernando,

You are welcome to provide this information by email and send it to dochelp [ at ] Microsoft [ dot ] com. Please address the email to my attention and mention this forum thread.

I am trying to evaluate what you are asking about regarding Montenegrin language support in Windows:

Are you asking for a fully localized Windows OS (language pack)?

Or are you asking about support for the display and keyboard language?

Or are you talking about support in specific Microsoft applications, please mention which ones?

Thanks,

Edgar 

Thursday, July 18, 2019 3:03 PM
  • Hi Fernando, We are aware “cnr” was added to ISO-639-3 in 2018. Our systems do not currently support “Montenegrin” language code for Windows display, input, or localized language pack. Our global language support team have confirmed, that at this time, we do not have plans to add Montenegrin, which is considered a dialect of Serbo-Croatian language, for either user interface or proofing tools. It would be good to understand where exactly Serbian and Croatian languages are falling short in addressing your needs. We serve the Montenegro market with Serbian (Latin & Cyrillic) and Croatian languages. In case you would like to make a formal request on the evaluation of adding support of Montenegrin language in Windows and/or other applications, please send us a message at dochelp [ at ] Microsoft [dot] com with a solid business justification. Please make sure to include what kind of support is requested and articulate the expected impact. Thanks, Edgar
    Friday, July 19, 2019 8:27 PM