none
Is support for Montenegrin language coming? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear team,

I just found out that the official language of Montenegro, Montenegrin, is not currently supported.

When Serbia and Montenegro were divided (around 2006), Serbia country code changed to RS (it was CS when it was merged with Montenegro), and languages were also divided into: sr-Cyrl-RS, sr-Latn-RS (for Serbia) and sr-Latn-ME, sr-Cyrl-ME (for Montenegro). But I think Montenegrin became the official language of Montenegro with the ratification of a new constitution on 22 October 2007.

I think the standard was only introduced around January 2018, as stated here (not sure though):

https://www.iana.org/assignments/lang-subtags-templates/lang-subtags-templates.xhtml

Is this planned to be introduced in Windows so we can use it in applications?

Thank you,

Fernando

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 12:59 PM

Answers

• Hi Fernando, We are aware “cnr” was added to ISO-639-3 in 2018. Our systems do not currently support “Montenegrin” language code for Windows display, input, or localized language pack. Our global language support team have confirmed, that at this time, we do not have plans to add Montenegrin, which is considered a dialect of Serbo-Croatian language, for either user interface or proofing tools. It would be good to understand where exactly Serbian and Croatian languages are falling short in addressing your needs. We serve the Montenegro market with Serbian (Latin & Cyrillic) and Croatian languages. In case you would like to make a formal request on the evaluation of adding support of Montenegrin language in Windows and/or other applications, please send us a message at dochelp [ at ] Microsoft [dot] com with a solid business justification. Please make sure to include what kind of support is requested and articulate the expected impact. Thanks, Edgar
    Friday, July 19, 2019 8:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Fernando, 

Thanks for your question about Montenegrin language support. One of the Open Specification support staff will respond to you shortly to assist you with this. 

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Sr Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 7:52 PM
  • Hi,

We are reviewing this and will respond soon.

Thanks,

Edgar

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 8:30 PM
  • Hi Fernando,

Regarding Montenegrin language "cnr" you are inquiring about:

Can you please clarify, when you say "Is this planned to be introduced in Windows so we can use it in applications?"

Are you asking for a fully localized Windows OS (language pack)?

Or are you asking about support for the display and keyboard language?

Thanks,

Edgar 

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 10:16 PM
  • Hi Fernando,

You are welcome to provide this information by email and send it to dochelp [ at ] Microsoft [ dot ] com. Please address the email to my attention and mention this forum thread.

I am trying to evaluate what you are asking about regarding Montenegrin language support in Windows:

Are you asking for a fully localized Windows OS (language pack)?

Or are you asking about support for the display and keyboard language?

Or are you talking about support in specific Microsoft applications, please mention which ones?

Thanks,

Edgar 

Thursday, July 18, 2019 3:03 PM
  • Hi Fernando, We are aware “cnr” was added to ISO-639-3 in 2018. Our systems do not currently support “Montenegrin” language code for Windows display, input, or localized language pack. Our global language support team have confirmed, that at this time, we do not have plans to add Montenegrin, which is considered a dialect of Serbo-Croatian language, for either user interface or proofing tools. It would be good to understand where exactly Serbian and Croatian languages are falling short in addressing your needs. We serve the Montenegro market with Serbian (Latin & Cyrillic) and Croatian languages. In case you would like to make a formal request on the evaluation of adding support of Montenegrin language in Windows and/or other applications, please send us a message at dochelp [ at ] Microsoft [dot] com with a solid business justification. Please make sure to include what kind of support is requested and articulate the expected impact. Thanks, Edgar
    Friday, July 19, 2019 8:27 PM
  • Hello, Mr Olougouna! Thank you for the reply on this topic, as there are more interested people on this matter. I would like to briefly explain where current language packs for Montenegro (Serbian, Croatian) fall short. Montenegrin, unlike these two languages, has 32, and not 30 letters. Therefore, all words spelled with these two specific Montenegrin letters cannot be spelled and corrected in the offered Serbian and Croatian packs. Also, not only these two letters, but also when it comes to the spelling of all other words unique to Montenegrin standard as opposed to Serbian and Croatian, some problems arise, such as frequent highlighting of words spelled correctly in Montenegrin language, but not recognized in Serbian/Croatian, to the point where professional work is made more difficult as the highlighted words become distracting. It would be very appreciated if these things could be taken into consideration before making a decision.
    Monday, December 2, 2019 10:15 PM
  • Hello Lujk1,
    The first step to request support for any language is to engage with Unicode CLDR Project for proper registration. You can visit http://cldr.unicode.org/ for further details about this project. For any questions you may have about the CLDR project, please contact Unicode communication channel https://home.unicode.org/connect/getting-involved/contact-unicode/

Regards,
    Sreekanth Nadendla
    Microsoft Windows Open Specifications

Thursday, December 5, 2019 8:30 PM
  • Thank you for the reply! Upon researching the Unicode CLDR database, I have seen that Montenegrin is already present there, under the sr_ME code, which I have suggested to them to change, as the "sr" tag implying the former status of Montenegrin as a dialect of Serbian (which has since been reclassified) is outdated. In the meantime they have made a name change where sr_ME isn't called "Serbian (Montenegro)" anymore, but "Montenegrin". They should also implement the new orthography of the Montenegrin language. The simplest and easiest solution to resolve the issue in Windows right now would be to simply abide by the CLDR nomenclature and rename "Serbian (Montenegro)" into Montenegrin as people in Unicode CLDR did
    Wednesday, March 25, 2020 8:01 PM
  • Hello! It’s been a while since I’ve responded with the latest information regarding the issue. Please see my response from March 25th that should be right below this post. Thank you!
    Thursday, May 14, 2020 9:14 PM
  • Hi Lujki1:

I have alerted the open specifications team regarding your inquiry. A member of the team will be in touch soon.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi

Friday, May 15, 2020 6:37 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Lujki1,

I will look into the current status and let you know what I find out. 

Thanks,

Jeff McCashland | Microsoft Protocols Open Specifications Team

Wednesday, May 20, 2020 12:25 AM
  • Hi Lujki1,

We believe we will pick up the rename automatically as part of our regular sync with the CLDR database. However, I have also filed a request for the update and we are following up on that. 

Thank you for checking on the status of this issue. 

Thanks,

Jeff McCashland | Microsoft Protocols Open Specifications Team

Thursday, May 21, 2020 8:41 PM
  • Thank you, Mr. McCashland, for keeping me up-to-date on the issue! I would strongly appreciate you letting me know once the update rolls out, as it's still not out yet. Once again, thank you for all the help with this!
    Thursday, June 4, 2020 1:09 PM