none
SharePoint 2007 and DotNetNuke RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    We are in a phase of redeveloping our internet website using CMS. We're trying SharePoint 2007 and DotNetNuke.
    After installing DotNetNuke, everything seems to be working and the biggest advantage we can see at this stage is the price and so many modules we can buy for a reasonable price, mainly store front solutions which is a requirement for our internet.
    Then it came SharePoint 2007 installation. We like it a lot however there seems to be no solution for a store front unless we would want to integrate it with Commerce Server 2007 which for us is just way too expensive and real overkill.
    The question is which one to choose and why. I haven't been able to find any solutions to the store front problem on the web except suggestion to buy any ASP.NET shopping cart and then integrate it...but how if its not a web part.
    I would like to hear from someone who has done shopping cart solution for SharePoint 2007 and also list some real world benefits why to spend $$$ on SharePoint instead of going for DotNetNuke.

Peter
    Thursday, February 28, 2008 10:16 PM

All replies

• SharePoint's a great development platform, but it does not have any shopping cart / consumer oriented face to it out of the box.  I haven't heard of any 3rd parties developing that kind of functionality either. 

If shopping cart is a core requirement, MOSS may not be the right option.

--Paul Galvin, Conchango
      RSS @ http://feeds.feedburner.com/PaulGalvinsSharepointSpace
      Web site @ http://paulgalvin.spaces.live.com

Monday, March 3, 2008 12:50 AM
  • Have you thought of a hosted solution?  At the recent Office Developers Conference in San Jose, Microsoft announced that their Office Live Small Business is now totally free, it's based upon the Windows SharePoint Services version 3 framework and it has many add-on applications, e.g. a StoreFront (including an automatic tie to eBay), a Contacts Manager, a Newsletter manager, Reports, web site advertising, and others...

And again - it's FREE.  Might be worth a check: http://smallbusiness.officelive.com/

Monday, March 3, 2008 1:05 AM
  • Thanks, Susan.  I had no idea that existed.

Monday, March 3, 2008 1:07 AM
  • have you found a solution?
    I am also looking for a shpping cart fot sharepoint
    Monday, March 23, 2009 11:56 PM
  • I'm afraid that "SharePoint Commerce Services" http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd464270.aspx is the only available solution for a moment.
    Having only Shipping card is not a trival task, it includes a lot of logic which Commerce Services provide you.
    SharePoint Tips & Tricks | Microsoft MVP My twitter
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 12:04 AM
  • StoreFron is a MVC application. it doesn't integrate to SharePoint as a feature. There is a lot of work to make it working as author wants.

SharePoint Tips & Tricks | Microsoft MVP My twitter
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 12:06 AM
  • I have not tried this product, so I can't speak for its quality, but at least it exists...

From their description - their words, not mine:

Works on SharePoint

Built on top of the SharePoint environment, Optimus BT’s eprocurement system easily integrates into your existing SharePoint environment. Deployment is done using SharePoint’s features based model, providing you with the flexibility to deploy the solution in a new site or within an existing site along with other functionality.

How does it work

The eprocurement system consists of two components, administration console, and the procurement cart web part. Data within the eprocurement system is managed using SharePoint’s list based infrastructure, and this data is centralized and managed within the administration console. The procurement cart web part is a department centric component that presents data specific to the department, allowing you more control over department specific procurement policies. The web part should be deployed in individual departmental sites.
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 2:47 PM