App Service on Azure Stack - Mgmt, FE, WW VMs dont show up on the portal RRS feed

• Question

• I was able to successfully deploy app service on the 01/02 build of ASDK. I am not able to see all the roles(vms) on the portal. I can only see the Controller VM, the file server vm I created and the SQL server vm I created. However I can see these VMs in the hyper V manager and the Failovercluster manager on my POC. When I tried to create a webapp and browse to it, the default website says page under maintenance. 
    Wednesday, January 31, 2018 10:40 PM

Answers

• Hello Priyanka,

In the Admin Portal,

1)Go to 'More Services' > COMPUTE > Virtual Machine scale sets

2)Select a scale set: Example FrontEndsScaleSet

3)In the scale set Blade go to > SETTINGS > Instances:

This were you can manage the VM(s) running in your scale sets.

Let us know how it goes

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your time and interest in Azure Stack.

If you experience any issues with Azure Stack or the current ASDK release, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks

Gary Gallanes

Thursday, February 1, 2018 1:17 AM

All replies

• Hello Priyanka,

In the Admin Portal,

1)Go to 'More Services' > COMPUTE > Virtual Machine scale sets

2)Select a scale set: Example FrontEndsScaleSet

3)In the scale set Blade go to > SETTINGS > Instances:

This were you can manage the VM(s) running in your scale sets.

Let us know how it goes

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your time and interest in Azure Stack.

If you experience any issues with Azure Stack or the current ASDK release, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks

Gary Gallanes

Thursday, February 1, 2018 1:17 AM
  • As Gary pointed out, except controller, all other roles in App Service are created using Scale Set. This gives flexibility for scale operations.

Also you can check if all the App Service roles are in ready state :

Browse to Admin Portal -> Click on More Services in left navigation -> Search for "App Service" -> Roles -> Now click on individual role to check status of each instance.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-stack/azure-stack-app-service-deploy#validate-the-app-service-on-azure-stack-installation

• Edited by Alok.Pagariya Friday, February 2, 2018 6:59 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Alok.Pagariya Friday, February 2, 2018 7:00 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Alok.Pagariya Friday, February 2, 2018 7:57 PM
    Thursday, February 1, 2018 7:56 PM
  • Can you please confirm if you were enable to create and browse a blank websites ?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-stack/azure-stack-app-service-deploy-offline#test-drive-app-service-on-azure-stack

you should see below page if the website is successfully created and all roles are in ready state.

Also do share MSDN article you are referring to.

Friday, February 2, 2018 7:45 PM
  • SQL instance running on the VM should be okay. SQL resource provider is not a blocking requirement. AppService needs SQL instance accessible to it.

If all of the App Service roles are in ready state, the deployment is successful.

Friday, February 2, 2018 7:54 PM
  • 1) Can you share screen snap you are seeing while browsing web app ?

2) To debug this further, you can look at the worker logs using kudu

(Go to Azure stack Tenant portal ->App Service -> Click on you website ->Select Advance tools (under Development tools) ->Debug Console -> CMD/Powershell -> dump log files. Also check what pages you see under sites/wwwrooot

Friday, February 2, 2018 8:20 PM
  • Hi -Are you seeing any error when you click on "Go" ?

Monday, February 5, 2018 6:36 PM
  • For further debugging you can remote to controller to check additional logs.

First enable rdp on controller:

1. Browse to Azure stack Admin portal
    2. Search for Network security group ->ControllerNsg -> Inbound security rules -> click on Inbound_Rdp_3389 -> Action -Allow

Now rdp to controller (CN0-VM) with the credentials you provided during deployment -> click on “Web cloud management console” from desktop.

Web Cloud -> Manages Servers -> check status and also click on each role to see if you are seeing any error logs

You can also click on Remote desktop – and remote to FrontEnd/workers – check event logs for any specific AppService errors.

Let me know how it goes.

Monday, February 5, 2018 7:40 PM
  • Great ! Let us know if you face any issues.

Thanks,

Alok

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 1:45 AM