Using COM component (dll was generated in Visual FoxPro) in LightSwitch RRS feed

• Question

• I have developed the COM (dll) component to work with the data (CRUD) using Visual FoxPro and deployed it as a Web Service. Сomponent implements all the business logic of the application. I want to use it with LightSwitch. How can I do this?

Thanks.
    Saturday, October 12, 2013 6:38 AM

Answers

• You can write a RIA service that connects to the web service and consume the ria service in the new LightSwitch app.

But... although the above is technically feasible, I'm not sure it's the best option.

Anyhow, apparently you want to recover only the "server part" of the foxpro app and use the lightSwitch goodness for the screens. Why not migrate the business logic as well. I have only very vague memories on fox pro, but if I recall correctly, it has also an save event pipeline (_updating, _inserting.. methods). Maybe it's not impossible to migrate?

paul van bladel

Saturday, October 12, 2013 8:13 AM
  • It might also be possible to consume the FoxPro .dll directly in the WCF RIA Service...

Unleash the Power - Get the LightSwitch HTML Client book

http://LightSwitchHelpWebsite.com

Monday, October 14, 2013 3:41 AM

All replies

• You can write a RIA service that connects to the web service and consume the ria service in the new LightSwitch app.

But... although the above is technically feasible, I'm not sure it's the best option.

Anyhow, apparently you want to recover only the "server part" of the foxpro app and use the lightSwitch goodness for the screens. Why not migrate the business logic as well. I have only very vague memories on fox pro, but if I recall correctly, it has also an save event pipeline (_updating, _inserting.. methods). Maybe it's not impossible to migrate?

paul van bladel

Saturday, October 12, 2013 8:13 AM
  • It might also be possible to consume the FoxPro .dll directly in the WCF RIA Service...

Unleash the Power - Get the LightSwitch HTML Client book

http://LightSwitchHelpWebsite.com

Monday, October 14, 2013 3:41 AM