Incomplete VS2005? (missing emulator and sql mobile) RRS feed

• Question

• I recently installed Visual Studio 2005 on both my desktop and laptop and have had issues with accessing various capabilities in the mobile device development side.  The most obvious of which is that the device emulator appears to be missing from my installation.  The deviceemulator.exe could not be found in the program files.  All the emulator images appeared in the debug drop-down, but I was only able to get the emulator working when I installed the stand alone version and accessed it separately from Visual Studio 2005.  In addition, I do not have a device emulator manager option in the tools menu.

In addition to my problems with the device emulator I also had to download and install the .Net compact framework 2.0 in order to create a mobile device project without getting a vague setup error.  It appears that the SQL server mobile edition support is also missing from my copy of the development environment.

I installed Visual Studio 2005 through my companies network advertised programs system.  My version number is 8.0.50727.42  The boxes to support mobile device management were selected.  I also have Visual Studio 6 and Visual Studio .Net installed on my desktop, but they are not on my laptop which is having the same issues.

I am curious if there could have been a set-up problem with my company that caused these components to be missing from my deployment and if you have any suggestions for resolving this issue.  Thank you for your time

Saturday, November 11, 2006 1:36 AM

Answers

• Apparently something was not right with this custom install. Perhaps another install with default options would rectify the situation. Or try installing these missing components separately to save time.

Monday, November 13, 2006 10:20 PM

All replies

• The only reason I can think of is what you choose custom installation without these features.

Saturday, November 11, 2006 7:06 PM
  • I did choose custom installation, but all the "smart device programmability" boxes are checked and the only option I have not installed is the SQL server 2005 express edition. 

My main problem is with the emulator not being included in the VS 2005 installation.
    Monday, November 13, 2006 9:37 PM
  • Apparently something was not right with this custom install. Perhaps another install with default options would rectify the situation. Or try installing these missing components separately to save time.

Monday, November 13, 2006 10:20 PM
  • If you reset your layout settings to default the Device Emulator Manager option will appear. Do it from Tools > Import Export Settings
    Friday, December 1, 2006 3:48 AM