none
Manage Favorites for Application Insights -> Search

Question

• Hi,

we are using Application Insights --> Search to create a filtered list of exceptions and traces. A few month ago it was possible to save a filtered query as a favorite and pin it on a dashboard. I invested a few hours today, but this does not seem to be possible anymore. Has this feature been deleted without replacement?

If I go to Application Insights --> Favorites, I can see my previous created favorites, but I am not able to modify them.

These feature is very important for us. Thank for any help.

Thomas

Monday, April 1, 2019 11:01 AM

Answers

• Hello Thomas,

Summing up the information that I could gather:

• Filters are not being persisted:
      It's intentional that if you leave Search and come back, the blade returns to the default state. Therefore, pin acts like a shortcut to the Search blade, but still as its default state. It's still pinnable because its useful as a shortcut to search of different AI metrics.

• Manage Favorites:
      Favorites is indeed being phased out. You can currently open previously created favorites from Search but you cannot create new ones. The current guidance for those looking to save particular searches is to use Analytics. You can use the Analytics button in Search to automatically generate an Analytics query for the search you’ve currently performed.

Hope this clarifies the current situation. However, if you still feel that your requirement can benefit other Azure Users, please feel free to submit your suggestion in our Feedback Forum for Azure Application Insights, and I'll be sure to upvote it too! Thank you once again for reaching out to us!

Thursday, April 4, 2019 9:31 PM

All replies

• Hello Thomas,

I can see that this feature is still available. Please check the screenshot below:

I see the resultant tile being pinned to the Dashboard upon clicking the "pin" button highlighted above:

Please post a screenshot showing your view of the Search feature if possible so I can check further. Thanks for reaching out!

Monday, April 1, 2019 3:14 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the detailed answer. My Application Insights interface looks the same. Unfortunately, the solution shown by you only works to a limited extent. I can pin the filtered search, as soon as I log out and log in again, the filter settings are gone and the tile shows instead of "10 entries" all "22k entries". It's just a link to the search and without any filters.

In this obsolete documentation you can see that it was possible to save a filtered search as a named favorite (see image below). 

I really want this feature back: Save a filtered search under a named favorite and pin this (working) to the dashboard.

Save as favorite

Tuesday, April 2, 2019 6:11 AM
  • Ok, thanks for providing the additional context around this! It does help me understand the issue better.

I'm investigating this further, and will keep you posted on my findings.
    Tuesday, April 2, 2019 12:52 PM
  • Hello Thomas, I was able to reproduce something similar to the reported issue and am checking further with our Internal Teams. Will get back once I hear more.

Thanks for your patience!

Wednesday, April 3, 2019 1:43 PM
  • Hello Thomas,

Summing up the information that I could gather:

• Filters are not being persisted:
      It's intentional that if you leave Search and come back, the blade returns to the default state. Therefore, pin acts like a shortcut to the Search blade, but still as its default state. It's still pinnable because its useful as a shortcut to search of different AI metrics.

• Manage Favorites:
      Favorites is indeed being phased out. You can currently open previously created favorites from Search but you cannot create new ones. The current guidance for those looking to save particular searches is to use Analytics. You can use the Analytics button in Search to automatically generate an Analytics query for the search you’ve currently performed.

Hope this clarifies the current situation. However, if you still feel that your requirement can benefit other Azure Users, please feel free to submit your suggestion in our Feedback Forum for Azure Application Insights, and I'll be sure to upvote it too! Thank you once again for reaching out to us!

Thursday, April 4, 2019 9:31 PM
  • Thank you for feedback. I have submitted the suggestion here: 

Bring back favorites for search (including pinning to dashboard)

Thanks for up-voting.

Thomas

Friday, April 5, 2019 7:20 AM
  • Let us know if there is anything else related to this thread that we can assist you with, else please feel free to mark and close this out if any of the above responses have been of help! Thanks for your patience!
    Friday, April 5, 2019 7:31 AM