How to handle shared data between users.

Question

• Hi,

I am looking for some general advise on storing data - sorry going to be a bit of a long message.

I want to build a survay type app that will store a name, a timestamp and 5 integers.

So I will call the person that takes the server a sample user. The user can take the survay at multiple times.

Then there is another type of user that can see all the results of these servays - so they can look at all the results of these samples - and pick any user and any sample they have submitted. We will call this user an admin user. So an admin type user can look at any of the data submitted by any of the sample users.

Please note I am not looking to build a web site. I want to build a universal app for both ends of this.

The question I have got is what direction / solution I should look at for storing and retrieving the data at both sides of the equation here.

Ideally I would also like to be able to do something from the "admin" user where they could remove older data from the user (if possible). As a general cleanup.

So any suggestions pointers on how I can accomplish this.

Btw I should add that we are talking about the sharing between different physical devices.

Thanks,

Ward.

• Edited by WardH Wednesday, May 6, 2015 4:15 AM
    Wednesday, May 6, 2015 4:00 AM

Answers

• You'll need to implement a web service for this and have the client app connect to that. There's no way to achieve this purely with client-side apps.

Take a look at Azure Mobile Apps for an easy way to create such a service. It is perfect for the scenario you describe.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 5:32 AM
  • Am I am able to use the Azure emulator - so I don't run up a large Azure bill while developing the app. So building it on say a single machine first - then put in the cloud (Azure) when ready?

Yes, you can, for example, the AZure Mobile Service supports local test

Best Regards,
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help

• Marked as answer by WardH Thursday, May 7, 2015 4:03 AM
    Thursday, May 7, 2015 3:30 AM

All replies

• You'll need to implement a web service for this and have the client app connect to that. There's no way to achieve this purely with client-side apps.

Take a look at Azure Mobile Apps for an easy way to create such a service. It is perfect for the scenario you describe.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 5:32 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your answer that was great. I know that the Azure Tools for Visual Studio is available.

Am I am able to use the Azure emulator - so I don't run up a large Azure bill while developing the app. So building it on say a single machine first - then put in the cloud (Azure) when ready?

Also as another strange way of tackling it - I assume there is no way that the C# code could automate sending and recieving of data via email. (I am guessing not for security reasons).

Thanks,

Ward.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 6:00 AM
  • Am I am able to use the Azure emulator - so I don't run up a large Azure bill while developing the app. So building it on say a single machine first - then put in the cloud (Azure) when ready?

Yes, you can, for example, the AZure Mobile Service supports local test

Best Regards,
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help

• Marked as answer by WardH Thursday, May 7, 2015 4:03 AM
    Thursday, May 7, 2015 3:30 AM