How to open a Metro Application by cdb in windows 8 for debugging?

Question

• Hi all,

I found a debugtool.exe used by the instructor in [1].   "debugtool.exe  /enabledebug 6712 c:\dbg\cdb.exe"

What is it? It seems a shell script to make cdb open a Metro Application?

I also want to debug a Metro Application from start using cdb, how can I do for that?

Thanks!

[1] http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/BUILD/BUILD2011/PLAT-875T

Monday, August 06, 2012 8:14 AM

Answers

• That is an internal tool which uses the IPackageDebugSettings interface to control the debugged app's lifetime so it can be debugged without suspending, etc. There is no tool provided with the Release Preview which does this: you would need to either implement your own or find a 3rd party tool. There used to be one on codeplex, but I don't know if it has been updated for current versions of the OS.

--Rob

Monday, August 06, 2012 7:48 PM
    Owner

All replies

• That is an internal tool which uses the IPackageDebugSettings interface to control the debugged app's lifetime so it can be debugged without suspending, etc. There is no tool provided with the Release Preview which does this: you would need to either implement your own or find a 3rd party tool. There used to be one on codeplex, but I don't know if it has been updated for current versions of the OS.

--Rob

Monday, August 06, 2012 7:48 PM
    Owner
  • Thank you!

I felt that it is very cool.

Now I want to debug a Metro Application and set a break point at the very beginning of the Application such as CoreApplication...  and see the process just like that session.  Can I do that using cdb's parameter?  I am not very familiar with cdb.

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 6:36 AM