Closing tasks to timesheet updates in Project server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• What is the best way to ensure that tasks that are 100% complete are no longer available to additional updates from the timesheet.
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 2:57 PM

Answers

• You can close tasks to update.

Go to Project Center and Click on Close Tasks to Updates. It will prompt you to select the project and tasks that needs closing. Select and click Publish.

Prasanna Adavi, PMP, MCTS http://thinkepm.blogspot.com
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 6:28 PM

All replies

• You can close tasks to update.

Go to Project Center and Click on Close Tasks to Updates. It will prompt you to select the project and tasks that needs closing. Select and click Publish.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 6:28 PM
  • Thank you, but is that the only way?  Why is it that MSP allows the resource to update a task that is 100% complete? In Server2007  we would change the "publish" flag to "No" at the task level.  In Server 2010 when we do that it also removes the task history from the My Assignments view.
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 6:42 PM
  • Yes. it is what I see as well in terms of Tasks disappearing once closed. DO not know of a way around it.
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 6:45 PM
  • Please try for this work agroud as well..

In MS Project, Open the project plan, insert column called publish and make the flag as No for 100% comple task.

Once you made this changes in the plan, pleaes publish the project and validate the result.

Hope it will help you 

Thursday, October 20, 2011 7:12 PM
  • Thank you, that is how we are doing it now.
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 7:46 PM
  • Thanks, I think we will try the "Close Task" option.
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 7:47 PM
  • In server 2007 changing a task to Publish "No" did not effect the My assignment view.  Is there some way to find out if this is a bug in Server 2010 of if Microsoft changed the function?

Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:20 PM
  • Hello,

Is there a way to know which tasks are closed from Project Pro? I mean is there any field that identifies a task in the project is closed or not?

Regards,

Kishore Dodda

Kishore Dodda

Thursday, June 14, 2012 9:55 PM
  • Be aware, that changing the Publish flag to No unpublishes the data and removes it from the Reporting database/OLAP. This could have downstream impacts to any reports.

The Close Task to Update method is preferred for this reason, as reporting data is left whole.

Treb Gatte

Monday, June 18, 2012 7:31 AM
  • Is there a field in a table or a view that indicates task closed?  I would like to add verification of this to our closure process.

Thanks --

Thursday, October 25, 2012 5:09 PM
  • This just popped up in one of related my searches, any possibility we can get a confirmation from someone on this behavior? 
    " Publish flag to No unpublishes the data and removes it from the Reporting database/OLAP. This could have downstream impacts to any reports." 

I ask because i have instructed our project managers to please unpublish tasks they do not want their team to be working on / are closed to clean up the "my tasks" view. In my testing it did not effect my reporting of tasks and assignments reported per person, but did remove the tasks from their "my tasks" page. We can see historical information and even the assignments in the reporting database, and in the Resource Center -> Resource Assignments  views. 

I came to the conclusion this was a safe method by referencing the following document:
    "Archive a completed project" 

Note: the status update history is not important to our organization, but the hours reported against tasks by person (actuals on assignments) is. 

If what you say is true, the ability for me to generate reports after a task has been set to unpublish is a bug and subject to be being corrected in a future service pack (which would break... all of my historical reports).

Thanks!

Friday, October 26, 2012 4:47 PM
  • Hey,

Have you found an answer to this? I have the same question as you

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 1:15 PM