none
Loading The Ribbon on Outlook Start RRS feed

• Question

• Hi , I kinda new in this so I guess my problem is very basic

I'm creating a simple Add-in for Outlook 2013 via Visual Studio 2013

I added an Ribbon XML item, and customized it.

before I start to actually link the buttons to the commands I want to see how it looks in outlook

so from the Visual Studio I press >Start and I can see the add-in is loaded from the add-in list, though I don't see my tab on the Ribbon :/

my goal is to have this ribbon on the Microsoft.Outlook.Explorer ribbon.

what am I missing? what do I need to add in the ThisAddIn_StartUp sub in order to show it?

thanks

Tamir Levy

Monday, March 9, 2015 9:27 PM

Answers

• Hi Eugene, and thanks for your reply

I managed to create the Ribbon with the Ribbon XML and the Ribbon Designer, I just couldn't see it running on Outlook .

I know the links and they didn't help me, but I've manage to find the solution

• Choose the top left Ribbon from the designer and
    • Choose properties
    • on the RibbonType option check Microsoft.Outlook.Explorer

thank you all :)

Tamir Levy

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 11:19 AM

All replies

• Hello

this link will help you https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa942955.aspx

add following code to the ThisAddin class

protected override Microsoft.Office.Core.IRibbonExtensibility CreateRibbonExtensibilityObject()
    {
        return new MyRibbon();
    }

• Proposed as answer by mjs_123 Tuesday, March 10, 2015 7:06 AM
    Tuesday, March 10, 2015 7:04 AM
  • Hello Tamir,

VSTO provides two main ways for creating a custom UI for the add-in:

1. The Ribbon designer which allows to create the UI manually. See Walkthrough: Creating a Custom Tab by Using the Ribbon Designer .

2. Ribbon XML. See Walkthrough: Creating a Custom Tab by Using Ribbon XML for more information. Make sure that you did all the steps described in the article, especially added the CreateRibbonExtensibilityObject method to the ThisAddin.cs file:

protected override Microsoft.Office.Core.IRibbonExtensibility CreateRibbonExtensibilityObject()
    {
        return new MyRibbon();
    }

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 10:07 AM
  • Hi Eugene, and thanks for your reply

I managed to create the Ribbon with the Ribbon XML and the Ribbon Designer, I just couldn't see it running on Outlook .

I know the links and they didn't help me, but I've manage to find the solution

• Choose the top left Ribbon from the designer and
    • Choose properties
    • on the RibbonType option check Microsoft.Outlook.Explorer

thank you all :)

Tamir Levy

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 11:19 AM