none
MS Word Styles driving me crazy! RRS feed

• Question

• First, I know this is the wrong forum but I have no idea how to find the right one. Microsoft has made this site so difficult to use.

Anyway I hope someone can help with this problem that is driving me crazy.

We work with a 'protected' document controlled by macros. We frequently have to unprotect the document because we need to change things the protected document does not allow us to. Stupid I know but I did not design this.

I was working in the 'unprotected' document when all of a sudden all my styles got changed. I have no idea what I did to trigger this. The heading styles were all numbered in certain ways, some with letters, some with numbers like i or 1.1 or 1.1.1 etc. Also the indents were all neat. All of this disappeared! I tried to correct all the typed in headings and that worked but as soon as I add a new one, its messed up again. I see the styles are messed up. For some unknown reason the styles now start the numbering at 5 instead of 1. Why, I have no idea! The indents have also changed. I tried to figure out how to modify a style and even when I get to the window I cannot figure out how to change the starting number or the indents. None of the icons do what I want. Nothing in the window helps. When I change a style it changes only the heading I am on not all of the headings with that style. I thought styles were for the whole document? Hope someone can rescue me from this mess.

This is Word 2003 in XP operating system.

Thursday, January 26, 2012 11:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I was working in the 'unprotected' document when all of a sudden all my styles got changed. I have no idea what I did to trigger this. The heading styles were all numbered in certain ways, some with lettes, some with numbers like i or 1.1 or 1.1.1 etc.  Also the indents were all neat. All of this disappeared!

to create a stable list (stable ouline numbering), you have to use a list style. The list style defines numbering format as well as indentation. Each level of the list style has to be linked to a paragraph style (e. g. Heading 1, Heading 2) used in the document.
    See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/outlinenumbering.html

Cheers
    Lisa [MS MVP Word]

• Marked as answer by Bruce Song Friday, February 3, 2012 2:05 AM
    Friday, January 27, 2012 8:27 AM

All replies

• Hi "Good Names"

The right place for this question is here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/word

The reason you couldn't "get there from here" is that it's a separate support site. Unfortunately, I can't move your question from here to there, either.

When you post, be sure to mention the version of Word you're using, and the one that was used to create this document.

FWIW I don't recognize the behavior of what you're seeing, but maybe someone on Answers will...

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Friday, January 27, 2012 8:26 AM
  • Hi,

I was working in the 'unprotected' document when all of a sudden all my styles got changed. I have no idea what I did to trigger this. The heading styles were all numbered in certain ways, some with lettes, some with numbers like i or 1.1 or 1.1.1 etc.  Also the indents were all neat. All of this disappeared!

to create a stable list (stable ouline numbering), you have to use a list style. The list style defines numbering format as well as indentation. Each level of the list style has to be linked to a paragraph style (e. g. Heading 1, Heading 2) used in the document.
    See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/outlinenumbering.html

Cheers
    Lisa [MS MVP Word]

• Marked as answer by Bruce Song Friday, February 3, 2012 2:05 AM
    Friday, January 27, 2012 8:27 AM