none
Test Manager - how to change automation state options

Question

• First off, I apologize as there doesn't seem to be a proper forum for extensions so I am quite sure this is in the wrong place.

However, here is my question: We are using Test Manager (Azure Test Plans) as an extension.  It works great but there is a field in the Test Cases that is called 'Automation State'.  In all of the processes we have, it is defined as a text field.  Yet any test case you view, it is a dropdown with 2 options 'Planned' and 'Not Automated'.  Does anyone know where I can modify these options?

Monday, May 13, 2019 1:01 PM

Answers

• Hello again, Ben,

Sorry for missing to understand that detail. So, a similar question was asked in the past, and answered too.

However, as per the latest documentation for Azure DevOps Services, I'm afraid that customizing the options for the Automation Status field is not supported.

And the note for 1 underneath reads:

Do not customize the picklist for these fields. The system accepts only those values listed.

Hope this addresses your concern. Also, for your reference:

Since Visual Studio Team Services is now Azure DevOps Services, TFS forum has been locked; It is still available for review in the Archived Forums folder. The discussion for VSTS has moved. Report a problem or provide a suggestion on Developer Community, get advice on Stack Overflow, and get support on Azure DevOps Support.

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 2:39 AM

All replies

• Hello Ben!

Thanks for reaching out!

Indeed, these fields can certainly be tweaked to suit your requirements. This document can guide you through it.

Here is a screenshot summarizing the action:

Key:

1 => Navigate to your Organization Settings page.

2 => Select Process.

3 => Expand the process you'd like to make changes to, and select the Work item type (Test Case in your scenario)

4 => Customize the workflow by hiding inherited states or adding custom states, as necessary.

Note: If the New state option is disabled, you don't have the necessary permissions to edit the process. See Set permissions and access for work tracking, Customize an inherited process.

Hope this helps!

Monday, May 13, 2019 3:19 PM
  • Hi,

I'm afraid this doesn't solve the problem.  This is not the 'state' of the test case itself.  It is a field in the test case.  See below.  The field (in the same area you pointed out but on the field configuration) is defined as a text string but when viewing a test case in a project, it is a dropdown.  I assume it's an extension but I don't see a place to edit the options.

Monday, May 13, 2019 7:53 PM
  • Hello again, Ben,

Sorry for missing to understand that detail. So, a similar question was asked in the past, and answered too.

However, as per the latest documentation for Azure DevOps Services, I'm afraid that customizing the options for the Automation Status field is not supported.

And the note for 1 underneath reads:

Do not customize the picklist for these fields. The system accepts only those values listed.

Hope this addresses your concern. Also, for your reference:

Since Visual Studio Team Services is now Azure DevOps Services, TFS forum has been locked; It is still available for review in the Archived Forums folder. The discussion for VSTS has moved. Report a problem or provide a suggestion on Developer Community, get advice on Stack Overflow, and get support on Azure DevOps Support.

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 2:39 AM
  • Hello Ben,

Have you had a chance to check if the above response helps? Please let us know otherwise and we'll be happy to assist you!
    Wednesday, May 15, 2019 9:15 AM
  • Yeah, that's unfortunate, but at least I know now.
    Wednesday, May 15, 2019 1:12 PM