Deploy Two Versions Of The Same DLL RRS feed

• Question

• The Detected Dependencies in my vdproj include two versions of log4net.  A strongly named reference included by another dependency, IronPython, and a 'standard' reference to our own log4net dll as used by the application.

Is it possible to install both dll versions?

I assume I would install the strongly typed version to the GAC?

Thanks

AndyF.

Friday, July 16, 2010 8:00 AM

Answers

• There's no reason why you can't install both, whether you install the strong-named (not strong typed!) to the GAC depends on what is going to use it. Apps generally can use assemblies in the regular file system. Things like IIS or other software that doesn't have the idea of an app folder they're running from typically require the GAC. The both log4net assemblies are identical except that one is strong named, it would maker sense for you use that one and install just that to the GAC.
    Phil Wilson
    • Proposed as answer by RobinDotNet Sunday, July 18, 2010 9:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by AndyF._ Monday, July 19, 2010 7:53 AM
    Friday, July 16, 2010 6:20 PM

All replies

• What method of deployment are you using?

RobinDotNet

Click here to visit my ClickOnce blog!
    Microsoft MVP, Client App Dev
    Friday, July 16, 2010 8:14 AM
  • Just building an msi for manual install...

AndyF.

Friday, July 16, 2010 8:55 AM
  • There's no reason why you can't install both, whether you install the strong-named (not strong typed!) to the GAC depends on what is going to use it. Apps generally can use assemblies in the regular file system. Things like IIS or other software that doesn't have the idea of an app folder they're running from typically require the GAC. The both log4net assemblies are identical except that one is strong named, it would maker sense for you use that one and install just that to the GAC.
    Phil Wilson
    • Proposed as answer by RobinDotNet Sunday, July 18, 2010 9:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by AndyF._ Monday, July 19, 2010 7:53 AM
    Friday, July 16, 2010 6:20 PM
  • Thanks for that. 

I find that, if I exclude the strongly named version, if breaks the scripting capabaility embedded in our product. 

I have only just started looking at install issues and vdproj's, so a stupid question - how do I mark the dll to installed in the GAC?

Monday, July 19, 2010 7:52 AM