none
Unable to start any sevices on APP server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I am one of two SP Farm Admins in my organization, but I'm not a SharePoint expert (yet). We've recently started seeing some instability, and other issues, with one of our APP servers in our Production farm. We are using SharePoint 2013 Enterprise version and our farm contains 3 APP servers (one of which is a Search server), 2 WFE servers, 1 clustered SQL instance (2 sql servers in the cluster), 1 OWA server, and 1 WFM server.

On one of our APP servers we have been unable to start ANY service from the Services On Server screen in Central Admin. Currently, our SharePoint Server Search service is stuck on Starting and no matter what we try it will not fully Start OR Stop. We have tried stopping the service manually via PowerShell and we keep getting a message that it's "Unprovisioning" but it never fully stops. We've since tried starting other services on this server and everything we've tried (Claims to Windows Token Service, Excel Services, Visio Graphics Service, etc.) just gets hung on "starting" until we manually unprovision them via powershell.

On this same server, the SharePoint Tracing Service and the SharePoint Host Controller service keeps stopping. We will go into Services.msc on the server and start each one and it will show "running" for a while, then it will stop and it's status gets changed to "Disabled." We haven't been able to keep these two services running for more than 30 minutes at a time. When looking at Services.msc on the server it shows the "SharePoint Server Search 15" service is running. However, if you look at Services On Server in Central Admin, it's hung on "starting." It's almost like SharePoint is not fully recognizing the status of the service, even though the server thinks it's running.

We can't seem to find anything specific in the ULS logs or Event Viewer, or not that we recognize at least. We're at an impasse at the moment since we can't fully start any services on said APP server. We're considering detaching the problem APP server from the farm, but Microsoft recommends stopping the search instance and search components on the server before detaching it to decrease the likelihood of a negative impact on search functionality in the remaining servers in the farm. This is our Production environment and we are trying to be cautious so that we don't create another issue by detaching the server.

Anyway, at this point we are at a loss and we are cautious to proceed. Has anyone ever come across an issue like this before? Any idea how to fully start or stop the SharePoint Server Search service that appears to be hung in our environment? Since the search service is stuck, would this prevent ALL other services from fully starting? Do you think this is a server issue instead of just a SharePoint issue? Why would the SharePoint Tracing Service and the Host Controller Service keep stopping and changing to Disabled? Are these events even related?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Thursday, July 18, 2019 1:38 PM

All replies

• Hi KROV850,

You could use below commands to start the service in specific server.

Add-Pssnapin "Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell"
    #If the Service in Specific Server is stuck at starting then run the below command
    $SA = Get-SPServiceInstance -Server "Server Name" | Where {$_.Status -like “Provisioning”}

#If the Service in Specific Server is stuck at stopping then run the below command
    $SA = Get-SPServiceInstance -Server "Server Name" | Where {$_.Status -like “UnProvisioning”}

#Entire SharePoint farm which services stuck at starting
    $SA = Get-SPServiceInstance | Where {$_.Status -like “Provisioning”}

#Entire SharePoint farm which services stuck at stopping
    $SA = Get-SPServiceInstance | Where {$_.Status -like “UnProvisioning”}

#Get the GUID from the Specific Service which has this issue with starting run the below commands on that server only.
    $sa = Get-SPServiceInstance -Identity b25344566-ada8-42fe-9b41-832f4225a55c
    $sa.UnProvision()

#Once it's stopped successfully then run the below commands again.
    $sa = Get-SPServiceInstance -Identity b25344566-ada8-42fe-9b41-832f4225a55c
    $sa.Provision()
    Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Thursday, July 18, 2019 1:49 PM
  • Hi Sharath,

Thank you for such a quick response! I have tried these commands in the past, but I also ran them again just now so that I could copy the message into this reply. The problem is that the service never fully unprovisions so that I can then try to provision it again. The following is copied from my PowerShell window:

PS C:\Windows\system32> $SA = Get-SPServiceInstance -Server "MYSERVERNAME" | Where {$_.Status -like “Provisioning”}
    PS C:\Windows\system32> $SA

TypeName    : SharePoint Server Search
    Description : Index content and serve search queries
    Id          : f616cbee-195f-4762-9b5a-98f84c1769d3
    Server      : SPServer Name=MYSERVERNAME
    Service     : SearchService Name=OSearch15
    Role        : None
    Status      : Provisioning

PS C:\Windows\system32> $sa = Get-SPServiceInstance -Identity f616cbee-195f-4762-9b5a-98f84c1769d3
    PS C:\Windows\system32> $sa.Provision()

Exception calling "Provision" with "0" argument(s): "Error during decryption. System error code 0."
    At line:1 char:1
    + $sa.Provision()
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodInvocationException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ArgumentException

I'm all ears for any other suggestions! =)

Thursday, July 18, 2019 2:07 PM
  • #First Stop it
    $sa = Get-SPServiceInstance -Identity f616cbee-195f-4762-9b5a-98f84c1769d3
    $sa.UnProvision()

#Then Start it
    $sa = Get-SPServiceInstance -Identity f616cbee-195f-4762-9b5a-98f84c1769d3
    $sa.Provision()

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Thursday, July 18, 2019 2:11 PM
  • So, unfortunately I receive a different error when I run that cmdlet. Again, I can never get the service to fully stop. The following is copied from my PowerShell window:

PS C:\Windows\system32> $sa = Get-SPServiceInstance -Identity f616cbee-195f-4762-9b5a-98f84c1769d3
    PS C:\Windows\system32> $sa.UnProvision()
    Exception calling "Unprovision" with "0" argument(s): "Invalid search service unprovisioning: application 'Search Service Application' still has a ready component 'in search service instance' on server 'MYSERVERNAME'."
    At line:2 char:2
    +  $sa.UnProvision()
    +  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodInvocationException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvalidOperationException

Thanks again!

• Edited by KROV850 Thursday, July 18, 2019 2:43 PM
    Thursday, July 18, 2019 2:18 PM
  • Seems like you are trying in a different server, you have to try on the same server where the GUID belongs too.

To check the Server Name of the instance try below command. once you got the server name from the command you need to login to that server and you should try the above commands over there.

#If the Service in Specific Server is stuck at starting then run the below command
    $SA = Get-SPServiceInstance -Server "Server Name" | Where {$_.Status -like Provisioning”}

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Thursday, July 18, 2019 2:26 PM
  • I'm actually logged on to the problematic server where the Search Service is stuck and running the commands as the Farm account. In my first response to your message you can see where I ran the

$SA = Get-SPServiceInstance -Server "MYSERVERNAME" | Where {$_.Status -like “Provisioning”}

command already. I assure you, I am running these commands on the server in question. Unfortunately, it was telling me I can't stop the service due to a search component still being in a "ready" state. So, I've finally been able to successfully remove all of the search components on the problem server. Before doing anything rash and trying to detach the server from the farm, I then tried to start the Search Service which was previously stuck. Now, any service I attempt to start shows up as "Error Starting" on the Services on Server page.

I also don't understand why the Tracing service keeps stopping and switching to "Disabled." It seems to be doing so every 30 minutes to an hour. Is there some timer job that could be interfering with the tracing service functionality? Do you think resolving the Tracing service issue would allow us to start the services on the server?

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond! =)

Thursday, July 18, 2019 4:56 PM
  • I don't understand why you remove server from the farm. That is a App & Search Server right ? And you must have search components running in other server as well. It's Just Services starting or stopping issue you can always troubleshoot with out removing from the farm yeah will face some slowness depends on the load you have but that's always the case. Try Add the Server back to the farm and then start the service and then add the components you required.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Thursday, July 18, 2019 6:23 PM
  • I haven't removed the server from the farm. What I said was before doing anything rash like removing it, I tried to start the Search Service again. Whenever I try to start any service on the problem server, it says "Error Starting" in central admin. At this point, I'm unable to start ANY service on that server. Each service I try to start goes into the "Error Starting" status and will not change.

I'm going to check with our IT team to see if it is a server issue since it is happening with EVERY service we try to start. Thanks for your help though.

Thursday, July 18, 2019 6:44 PM
  • Hmmm, Try running PSConfig on that Server and then try starting the services and see.

PSConfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait -cmd applicationcontent -install -cmd installfeatures -cmd secureresources -cmd services -install
    Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Thursday, July 18, 2019 6:51 PM
  • Hi KROV850,

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, July 19, 2019 7:11 AM