Operation must use an updateable query - ASP / Access RRS feed

• Question

• User-1090423847 posted

Hi all,

Sorry to bring this one up again, I know it's been raised a thousand times but I've trawled through the various forums without any luck.  I have an ASP site with an access back-end (would normally use Oracle but it's a tiny site), which all works fine on my dev box, but when running on live, i get the error message as per the title.  I understand that it is a permissions issue, but I have set permissions to all users to full control, for the entire folder and all sub-folders and i still get the problem.

I have an ldb file sitting in the directory with the mdb, but this does not seem to want to go away, even after i clean out all of the connections, is this causing the problem or are there some other 'permissions' that I'm unware of?  Connection string I am using is below:

connectionString="Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=*virtual directory location*\SCH_V1.mdb" providerName="System.Data.OleDb"

Any help would be most appreciated

Dan

Friday, February 27, 2009 10:01 AM

Answers

• User-821857111 posted

Data Source=*virtual directory location*\SCH_V1.mdb

Put the mdb file in App_Data.  It's not browsable there. Then use "Data Source=|DataDirectory|SCH_V1.mdb"

The specific permissions are MODIFY and they should be set on the App_Data folder (once you have moved the file) and the "user" is ASPNET on Win XP Pro, or NETWORK SERVICE on a proper server. Not Everyone.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, February 27, 2009 4:05 PM

All replies

• User-1090423847 posted

Hi all,

Please ignore this, the problem has been resolved once i cleared out the lock issue

Friday, February 27, 2009 10:53 AM
  • User-821857111 posted

Data Source=*virtual directory location*\SCH_V1.mdb

Put the mdb file in App_Data.  It's not browsable there. Then use "Data Source=|DataDirectory|SCH_V1.mdb"

The specific permissions are MODIFY and they should be set on the App_Data folder (once you have moved the file) and the "user" is ASPNET on Win XP Pro, or NETWORK SERVICE on a proper server. Not Everyone.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, February 27, 2009 4:05 PM