none
why nount to /mnt is not working on linux azure vm ? RRS feed

• Question

• i tried the tutorial of atache disk portal excaly in my linux azure vm and mounted the data to /mnt which is by default mount to ssd temporary disk .

i delete from  /etc/fstab the default /mnt and attached my , after reboot the /mnt is gone and not shown in df command . is it not possible to mount to /mnt the external disk ?

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 6:42 AM

All replies

• Are you referring to any document (If, so please share the document)?

May I know what exactly are you trying to perform? If you are getting any error  message or error code, please do share with us?

As I understand you need to mount an Azure data disk from a linux virtual machine?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/linux/add-disk#connect-to-the-linux-vm-to-mount-the-new-disk

For an alternative walkthrough, see this blog 

Additional information: Azure File Share is a choice. Azure File Share supports mount on the Azure region it is hosted in, such as on-premises or in a different Azure region, the OS must support the encryption functionality of SMB 3.0. Applications running in Azure virtual machines or cloud services or from on-premises clients can mount a file share in the cloud, just as a desktop application mounts a typical SMB share. Any number of application components can then mount and access the File storage share simultaneously.

More information about how to use Azure File Storage with Linux please refer to this link.

You may also refer to the suggestion mentioned in the GitHub link.

Kindly let us know if the above helps or you need further assistance on this issue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members
    Tuesday, June 25, 2019 8:01 AM
  • @omer_a Just checking in to see if the above answer helped. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same, which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. And, if you have any further query do let us know.
    Wednesday, July 3, 2019 5:36 AM
  • Is there any update on the issue?

If the suggested answer helped for your issue, do click on "Mark as Answer" and “Vote as Helpful” on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 2:30 PM
  • In short, you cannot fstab or mount any volumes as /mnt as Azure assigns this volume to the temp data storage that comes with every VM.

If you need to access data on the newly attached disk, you can mount it to some other path which you can create like /data for example.

• Proposed as answer by Chubby Cat Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:52 AM
    Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:52 AM