none
WPF and Tablet PC - what SDK? RRS feed

• Question

• I've got Windows Vista laptop (Tablet PC), Visual C# Express Orcas.

Trying to run Hand-On-Labs with WPF/InkAnalysis. The reference is broken (IAWinFX).

Looks like I need some more SDKs to install. What is it I need?

I tried Tablet PC SDK 1.7, as recommended on that  and it didn't help at all. Why there is not straightforward documentation about it? I see there are references to Tablet PC developer center on MSDN, but they are lead to nowhere. So the developer center for Tablet PCs was closed??

Seems like the whole TabletPC project was shut down by Microsoft eventually. But yet still I would like to write application for Tablet PC laptop, so, please, help me to find right SDK.

Thanks.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 8:24 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Mihailik,

IAWinFx.dll ships as part of the Windows Vista SDK:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=7614fe22-8a64-4dfb-aa0c-db53035f40a0&displaylang=en

The Windows Vista SDK is listed as requirement for the WPF/InkAnalysis hands-on-lab:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=fa8aecd8-039c-472a-9f4a-ffaa433f2343&displaylang=en

The developer center for TabletPC is not closed - it's right here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/tabletpc

And no, there are no plans to shut down the TabletPC project.

Thanks,

Stefan Wick

Microsoft - Windows Experience

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 1:58 PM
  • Hello Mihailik.

I run the Mobile PC Developer center on MSDN. I can assure you that we have no plans to shut down the developer center. Rather, we do have plans to continue and improve our Tablet PC and other content. If you ever see a problem with some of the developer center's content, please use the feedback mechanism on the page or send us mail at mobdvctr@microsoft.com and will correct the problem as soon as possible.

I apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Eliot - MSFT

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 4:14 PM
  • Thanks a lot, Stefan. Probably just some particular links to Tablet PC dev center were broken.

And I'm lucky I've already got Windows SDK on DVD. Although it is sort of inconvinient to install the whole number of Gbytes just to get some little DLL. Which I bet is about hundred of Kbytes anyway.

Thanks for quick and informative answer again, Stefan.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 6:40 PM
  • Thanks Eliot. I think there were just some unlucky links to Tablet PC dev center broken on my way.

Speaking about improvements, I think there is a space for them on Tablet PC dev center.

It is now doesn't seem clear what are the Tablet PC platforms provided by Microsoft. Neither it is clear what are the SDKs and other developer-targeted tools Microsoft provides for these platforms.

I think the easiest fix would be some introductory article which would draw the whole map. You know, brids eye view. The options for developers, requirements for each platform/option, version implications.

Best regards

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 6:50 PM
  • Hi,

I had an similar issue. My problem was to find the engine I was searching for. There are some different engines as it seems. You could take a look at the last view posts in this thread

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 2:58 PM