Upgrade Advisor error RRS feed

• Question

• Team,

After installing sql 2012 upgrade advisor i tried to connect one of the sql server to analyze one database.  After providing the servername and selecting the required database i receive an Analyze error. the below is the Error.

I do not know why this error comes if it cant find the instance name then how it detects those databases.

" The SQL server instance MSSQLSERVER could not be found on the Target computer."

Please let me know if im missing something.

Thanks for your time.

Mli.a | Mark the answers if it helps to solve your problem |

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 3:22 PM

Answers

• Ok the issue is resolved, it was the sql browser service that was not running on the instance.  After starting the connection got established from upgrade advisor.

Thanks for your time.

• Marked as answer by Michelle Li Monday, April 13, 2015 2:37 AM
    Thursday, April 9, 2015 1:44 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Please try to run upgrade advisor using a Windows account that has administrative privileges on the SQL Server instance and on the operating system of the remote computer (local administrator).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 3:48 PM
  • The account used was admin in the OS as well as on SQL instance. Its not with the permission as i stated it shows me the list of database after the authentication screen but while analyzing it gives the error.

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 4:09 PM
  • Hello,

I supposed you are trying to run SQL Server 2012 Upgrade Advisor against a SQL Server 2008 R2 instance or earlier and not against a SQL Server 2012 or later instance. Could you confirm that?

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 5:36 PM
  • Yes Im running it on 2008 R2. It worked for me on a standalone but not sure why on cluster its an issue.

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 6:32 PM
  • Hello,

Are you providing the virtual SQL Server name to connect to the SQL Server instance or a node name? You should use that virtual name.

Can you connect with a domain account with administrative permissions on the Windows Server cluster.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 8:41 PM
  • Ok the issue is resolved, it was the sql browser service that was not running on the instance.  After starting the connection got established from upgrade advisor.

Thanks for your time.

• Marked as answer by Michelle Li Monday, April 13, 2015 2:37 AM
    Thursday, April 9, 2015 1:44 PM
  • Hi Murali,

Glad to hear that the issue is resolved and thanks for your post to share your solution. That way, other community members could benefit from your sharing.

Regards,
    Michelle Li

Monday, April 13, 2015 2:37 AM