none
Visio 2007 sp1 - error (920) when exporting to jpg

Question

•  

I have a database diagram I created in Visio 2007 tied to SQL2005. When I try and do a "save as" to jpeg format I get an error:

An error (920) occurred during the action Save As.

Visio is unable to complete Exporting

I noticed a post for a similar error in Visio 2003 that was fixed in a service pack. I downloaded the Visio SP1 for 2007 and installed. Still getting the error.

Anyone seen this? Any ideas for a work-around? I'm able to export other visio 2007 diagrams (class, use-case, etc.) fine.

Monday, December 17, 2007 3:07 PM

Answers

• I stumbled on a solution for my 920 error generated from Viso.  Try changing the zoom to show largest field of view.  Look for extraneous objects that you have unknowingly copied out in space beyond the edge of your page.  As soon as I deleted these objects the 920 error went away.

If you can't see any such objects, use your pointer tool to select the space off of your page (this may require you to select several spaces and hit your delete key just to make sure there is nothing there.

It is a shame that Windows doesn't have an easy search/locate for this solution when looking in the Windows On-Line help for a 920 error.  I am no "Help" expert but wasted 30 minutes looking on-line for this fix.  Hope this helps you if you end up with the same problem.

Tuesday, June 03, 2008 4:31 AM

All replies

• Try reducing the resolution.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 4:22 PM
  • I stumbled on a solution for my 920 error generated from Viso.  Try changing the zoom to show largest field of view.  Look for extraneous objects that you have unknowingly copied out in space beyond the edge of your page.  As soon as I deleted these objects the 920 error went away.

If you can't see any such objects, use your pointer tool to select the space off of your page (this may require you to select several spaces and hit your delete key just to make sure there is nothing there.

It is a shame that Windows doesn't have an easy search/locate for this solution when looking in the Windows On-Line help for a 920 error.  I am no "Help" expert but wasted 30 minutes looking on-line for this fix.  Hope this helps you if you end up with the same problem.

Tuesday, June 03, 2008 4:31 AM
  • Thanks Visiouser2007.

I ran into the same issue and your resolution was the answer. The quickest way for me to spot the item off the white space was to do the "Ctrl+A" trick to select all objects. I could see the item off the page causing the issue.

Thanks for the posting your difficulty, as it help me resolve the issue.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 10:43 PM
  • Hi,

I had the same error. To me it does not seem an of-space floating object issue but a pixel / dimension issue.

When saving to jpg you have to set the some values. I always use the following value fields:

1) Quality, standard set to 75%, I always raise to 100%.

2) Resolution, I choose custom and tend to fill in values of 200 or 250 pixels. When I set such a goal for large Visio files the 920 error may occur. Reducing the number of pixels solves the issue. I did not find a real answer but found out the conversion limitations by try & error. 

I tried 3 different drawings:

- The first one I could save with 147x147 pixels (resolution 3012x1481 / 1.44MB). Using 148 pixels for this one gave the 920 error. 

- The second drawing I was able to save with 152x152 pixels (resolution 3424x1614 / 1.79MB). 153 pixels > 920 error.

The third drawing I was able to save with 161x161 pixels (3498x1695 / 1.67MB). And again when using 162 pixels I got the 920 error.

I hope this info helps. In the past I always blamed bad inserted pictures and somehow I managed to save the piece by re-editing it. But simply reducing the amount of pixels per inch when saving to jpg seems to do the job.  

Thursday, December 19, 2013 12:47 PM
  • I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. KEEP THE RESOLUTION ON "SCREEN" AND CHANGING THE SIZE TO "PRINTER" FIXED THE ISSUE FOR ME.

THANKS-AMER

Saturday, December 17, 2016 6:52 PM