Group by query on a huge table RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

I want to aggregate the data of one of my tables (5 billions of records) and put it in a target table.
    I tried to do it within a SQL query but I reach my tempdb limit such as:

insert into target_table
    select log_date, site_id,server_id,sum(queries),sum(volumes)
    from source_table
    group by log_date, site_id,server_id

I would like to know if there is a way to do it progressively with SSIS for instance.

Thanks Pete

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 8:33 PM

Answers

All replies

• You can probably aggregate in a loop based on date ranges e.g a week. Then accumulate the running totals in temp variables, and then further group from there.

Perhaps shredding the recordset may work: http://www.sqlis.com/post/Shredding-a-Recordset.aspx

Arthur My Blog

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 8:45 PM
  • BTW - I think you should post this question in the T-SQL forum.  A SQL to SQL table copy like this is best done all inside the DB engine, so your first preference should be to solve this tempDB size issue.

Assuming you are or have sought advice on a pure T-SQL solution, we can investigate SSIS ones... can your server handle SELECTing with an ORDER BY on those columns?

If yes, then you can issue that ORDERed SELECT as a source in SSIS, then use an asynchronous script to collate running totals.

Todd McDermid's Blog Talk to me now on

• Proposed as answer by Eileen Zhao Friday, June 1, 2012 4:41 AM
    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 10:05 PM
  • Instead of doing grouping on billions of records in one go, you can also do it by site_id + server_id, assuming you don't have millions of sites and servers.

insert into target_table

select log_date, sum(queries),sum(volumes)
    from source_table where site_id = ? and server_id = ?

group by log_date

Randy Aldrich Paulo

MCTS(BizTalk 2010/2006,WCF NET4.0), MCPD | My Blog

BizTalk Message Archiving - SQL and File
    Automating/Silent Installation of BizTalk Deployment Framework using Powershell >
    Sending IDOCs using SSIS

• Marked as answer by ms_bi_pete Thursday, June 7, 2012 9:25 AM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 7:18 AM