none
can not change power plan settings in Windows Embedded standard 7 TC template build RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

In Windows Embedded standard 7 TC template build, Power plan settings is disabled (greyed out) for Default user and new user. Hence can not  change power plan settings. How to enable it for both users? 

Steps to reproduce

1. Create WES7 build using microsoft build in Thin client (TC) template.

2. Login with user account which you created during OOBE.This account is actually a member of administrator group.

3. Go to control panel | Power Options. You will see the preffered power plans are disabled.

4. Create a new user, say "u1". This user is a member of users group.

5. Login with new user account "u1".

6. Go to control panel | Power options. You will see the preffered powwe plans are disabled.

Expected result: For both default user (member of Administrators  group) and new user (member of users group) , power plans should be in enabled state.

Note: In windows 7 ultimate for both defau;t user (member of Administrators  group) and new user  (member of users group) , power plans are in enabled state.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:06 AM

All replies

• Not sure how this is working in Windows 7 for users.  Access to Power settings is only available for Administrators. User don't have access to this type of Administrator privaleges. Unless UAC has something to do with the Windows 7 image.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 7:34 PM
  • I believe Hibernation is disabled by default and therefore the Power Options are disabled.  Try turning on hibernation by executing "powercfg -h on" on your admin command prompt and see if the Power Options become configurable.

Ivan

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 7:50 PM
  • @Ivan - account level is the issue. Will powercfg turn on the power options for the user?

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 8:58 PM
  • From what I understand from the original question neither admin nor user accounts has the option to change Power Options (see step 3 and 6 on first post).  I ran into the same issue before and turning on hibernation solved this particular issue.

Ivan

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 1:42 AM
  • @Shashibanavasi - please confirm if the user is in the Users group or Administrators group. The Expected result says these accounts are in different groups.

-Sean

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 4:52 PM
  • Hi Sean,

The user which is created during OOBE  (step2) by default becomes member of administrators group. For this user itself, power plan setting option is greyed out. When we create new user using computer management, then this user becomes users group. For both the users i.e, user who is member of admnistrator group and user member of users group, power plans are disabled. I completely disabled UAC, but no luck.

Here is some of the test results

OS

User

Availability of Power Options functionality

Standard MS TC template WES7 Sp1

Default User created during OS installation OOBE phase “User” who is member of administrator group

Not Available

New user created using computer managment with member of users group

Not available

New user created using computer managment & added that as member of  Administrators group

Not available

Windows 7

Default User created during OS installation OOBE phase “User” who is member of administrator group

Available

New user created using computer managment with member of users group

Available

Ivan,

Coming to Ivans suggestion, i tried giving the command "powercfg -H ON" on user account which i created during OOBE who is member of administrator group but it gave  a message "You do not have permission to enable or disable the Hibernate feature". Then i syspreped the image with command sysprep /audit & rebooted the client. Client automatically loggedin with built in Administrator account ( which is normally disabled in any windows 7 or wes7) . Now in this Administrator account Power plan settings is enabled. 

So i think, apart from Administrator privileges, something else also playing a role in enabling power plan settings.

So my question are

i) What is the differance between built in Administrator account and a user who created during OOBE which is member of administrator group?

ii) How in Windows 7 ultimate, for default user itself (member of admin group) power plan is enabled while in WES7 default user (member of admin group) it is disabled?

iii) How in Windows 7 ultimate for the new user who is a member of users group also, power plan settings are enabled?

Thursday, March 31, 2011 6:44 AM
  • You'll need to open the command prompt in administrator mode in order to use powercfg to change power settings.  (right click and "run as administrator").

Ivan

Thursday, March 31, 2011 6:24 PM
  • I had the same issue described as the OP where a user account in a WES7 image could not change the power settings (either through control panel nor powercfg utility).  I even followed steps described in this posting http://blogs.msdn.com/b/aaron_margosis/archive/2005/02/09/370263.aspx

to give user full access to registry location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Controls Folder\PowerCfg

What I noticed is that the power settings set under administrator "stuck" in the user account. Fortunately this is exactly what I needed in my environment to have the same power settings for all users.  It seems there is something different with WES7 versus win7 Pro that power settings persist across all users.

This is just my observation in my WES7 image so not sure if it will be this was for everyone.  Hopefully this info helps someone else!

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 3:02 PM