Exception thrown by GestureRecognizer

Question

• In my application I am running into an exception that I am unable to prevent from occurring. I can reproduce the error with the official Windows 8.1 platform sample "Gestures and manipulations with GestureRecognizer".

It is an exception thrown by the gestureRecognizer:

gestureRecognizer.ProcessMoveEvents(args.GetIntermediatePoints(this.reference));

"An exception of type 'System.Exception' occurred in GestureRecognizer.exe but was not handled in user code

WinRT information: Input data cannot be processed in the non-chronological order.

Additional information: Input data cannot be processed in the non-chronological order."

It happens faster if I stress-test the application by using multiple fingers on the touch screen.

Any suggestions?

--
    Roland

Sunday, May 25, 2014 10:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Roland,

Thanks for the report. I'll take a look at this after the holiday weekend.

--Rob

Monday, May 26, 2014 5:29 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Rob,

Thanks, I appreciate that.

--
    Roland

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 8:18 AM
  • Hi Roland,

I was able to reproduce this, but I don't yet know what exactly's going on with it.

--Rob

Saturday, May 31, 2014 4:31 AM
    Owner
  • Hi Rob,

glad you could reproduce it. In my application I tried to circumvent the problem by swallowing the exception, but this results in all kinds of new exceptions at a later time. This is really annoying since my main interactions depend on this. How are you going to pursue this?

kind regards,

Roland

Monday, June 02, 2014 2:32 PM
  • Hi Roland,

Sorry for the delay on this. I'm still looking into it.

Since the error is that the data is in non-chronological order I put in some logging to examine how the sample was forwarding the pointer events to the GestureRecognizer and I set a breakpoint on where the error is thrown, but I haven't yet been able to tie those together.

--Rob

Thursday, June 12, 2014 3:30 AM
    Owner
  • The gesture recognizer is throwing these exceptions for me as well, however I don't believe the problem is isolated to ProcessMoveEvents() in PointerMoved event handlers. I've also had the same exception thrown from ProcessDownEvent() in a PointerPressed handler. I don't think the problem is necessarily related to GetIntermediatePoints(). It's something internal to GestureRecognzier. Maybe there's a race condition in the gesture recognizer?

EDIT: I just had it happen in ProcessUpEvent now as well.
    • Edited by Josh__K Friday, June 13, 2014 4:51 PM more info
    Friday, June 13, 2014 4:38 PM
  • Here is a bug report that I've opened:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/895979/exceptions-thrown-by-gesturerecognizer

EDIT: Ignore this bug report.
    • Edited by Josh__K Friday, June 13, 2014 10:28 PM
    Friday, June 13, 2014 7:40 PM
  • Yes. That's the sample Roland mentioned in the original post. (oops: I mean the sample you mentioned before you edited it out of your post :) )

This is definitely not a Visual Studio issue. Please don't post Windows issues to the Visual Studio connect. That just confuses the issue and makes it more difficult for us to investigate this.

--Rob

Friday, June 13, 2014 10:07 PM
    Owner
  • Sorry. First time here. I didn't realize the significance of [MSFT] in your name. I'll edit the connect page to note that you're handling it.

Friday, June 13, 2014 10:14 PM
  • Hi Rob,

I am glad you are picking this up again.

I sometimes also notice this exception that I suspect is coming from the gesturerecognizer.

System.ArgumentException: The parameter is incorrect.

It turns up in my BugSense reports in multiple language variants.
    Maybe it helps. Or maybe it clutters this thread. ;)

kind regards,

Roland

Friday, June 13, 2014 11:01 PM
  • Hi Rob and Roland,

Glad to see that someone is looking into this issue.  It accounts for over 90% of the crash reports we are seeing from the field (8-9 / day) from our C#/XAML Windows Store App.  Let me know if we can provide any additional info to aid in your investigation.

Thanks,
    Jay

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 11:34 PM