Using Mail Account Providers across apps

Question

• I would like to access the Accounts that have been set up in the default Mail/Calendar app, from another app. Is that possible, maybe with a contract or extension?

Thanks.

Sunday, October 07, 2012 10:42 PM

Answers

• You can request contacts through the ContactPicker. There is no way to directly read the data from other apps.

--Rob

Monday, October 08, 2012 3:54 AM
    Owner
  • Windows 8 doesn't have a central contacts repository. The Mail and Calendar apps are normal apps and communicate with other apps through the same mechanisms available to all apps. Other apps can access their contacts individually through the Contact Picker, the same as they can access any other app which supports the Contact Picker contract.

I cannot speculate on features for future versions of the OS.

--Rob

Tuesday, October 09, 2012 1:14 AM
    Owner

All replies

• You can request contacts through the ContactPicker. There is no way to directly read the data from other apps.

--Rob

Monday, October 08, 2012 3:54 AM
    Owner
  • Thanks Rob.

The reason I ask is that iOS and Android allow apps to access the user's Mail/Calendar Accounts from the central repository on their respective devices.

Will there be future support for such a feature in Windows Store apps?

Monday, October 08, 2012 5:12 AM
  • Windows 8 doesn't have a central contacts repository. The Mail and Calendar apps are normal apps and communicate with other apps through the same mechanisms available to all apps. Other apps can access their contacts individually through the Contact Picker, the same as they can access any other app which supports the Contact Picker contract.

I cannot speculate on features for future versions of the OS.

--Rob

Tuesday, October 09, 2012 1:14 AM
    Owner