Target Framework drop down selection missing other frameworks RRS feed

• Question

• I have a successful install of VS2010, however, I can't target any versions of the .net framework other than 4.0 and 4.0 client profile. When I open an existing project that targets other versions of the framework I get a "Project Target Framework Not Installed" error. When I create new projects visual studio only allows the selection of 4.0. I have 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5 all installed. IIS can run ASP.NET apps build on all of these frameworks on the computer. Visual Studio 2008 (also installed on computer) targets back to 2.0 (as expected).

Friday, May 14, 2010 5:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Rob,

You need to install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
    Read my blog post for more info.

Please "Mark as Answer" if this post answers your question.
    Ferry Meidianto | My Blog
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, May 21, 2010 2:33 AM
    Sunday, May 16, 2010 4:56 AM
  • Thank you for Ferry's kindly help.

Hi Rob,

As Ferry mentioned, to target other .NET Framework like .NET 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 in Visual Studio 2010, we need have these .NET Frameworks installed and upgrade .NET Framework 3.5 to SP1 on the machine.
    For more information on Multi-Targeting feature, please visit: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb398197.aspx

Some clarification with you:
    What's your OS?

Since you have installed .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 on your machine, could you please help me to use Verification Tool to verify .Net Framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5?
    If .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 can be verified successfully, please try to upgrade .NET Framework 3.5 to SP1 by download .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 or Visual Studio 2008 SP1 which will upgrade both .NET Framework 3.5 and Visual Studio 2008 to SP1.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, May 17, 2010 6:51 AM
  • Hi Rob,

Thank you for your reply.

Even you apply Visual Studio 2010 and .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 on WMWare, I think that the steps should be the same. You can try these steps on the virtual machine.

Please feel free to let us know the result whether it succeed or fail.

Look forward to your feedback.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Proposed as answer by Sanjeev.Kumar Tuesday, May 18, 2010 6:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, May 21, 2010 2:34 AM
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 5:59 AM

All replies

• Hi Rob,

You need to install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
    Read my blog post for more info.

Please "Mark as Answer" if this post answers your question.
    Ferry Meidianto | My Blog
    Sunday, May 16, 2010 4:56 AM
  • Thank you for Ferry's kindly help.

Hi Rob,

As Ferry mentioned, to target other .NET Framework like .NET 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 in Visual Studio 2010, we need have these .NET Frameworks installed and upgrade .NET Framework 3.5 to SP1 on the machine.
    For more information on Multi-Targeting feature, please visit: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb398197.aspx

Some clarification with you:
    What's your OS?

Since you have installed .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 on your machine, could you please help me to use Verification Tool to verify .Net Framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5?
    If .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 can be verified successfully, please try to upgrade .NET Framework 3.5 to SP1 by download .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 or Visual Studio 2008 SP1 which will upgrade both .NET Framework 3.5 and Visual Studio 2008 to SP1.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Monday, May 17, 2010 6:51 AM
  • Given the MS documentation indicates the requirement I'm betting, since I don't have 3.5 SP1 installed that is my problem. Therefore, i'm planning to move forward. Would still like me to run the verifier tool? I can using VMWare snapshot prior to installing 3.5 SP1. If so, would you want the results posted here?

Monday, May 17, 2010 12:49 PM
  • Hi Rob,

Thank you for your reply.

Even you apply Visual Studio 2010 and .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 on WMWare, I think that the steps should be the same. You can try these steps on the virtual machine.

Please feel free to let us know the result whether it succeed or fail.

Look forward to your feedback.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    • Proposed as answer by Sanjeev.Kumar Tuesday, May 18, 2010 6:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, May 21, 2010 2:34 AM
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 5:59 AM
  • Hi Rob,

I'm writing to follow up the post. Does the above suggestion work?

Please feel free to let me know if you need any help.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 4:41 AM
  • Installing .NET 3.5 SP1 did fix the problem. I must admit it very plainly expressed as s dependency in the VS documentation.
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 12:58 PM
  • Hi Rob,

Thank you for your feedback on the result that you tried the suggestion. I'm so glad to hear that your issue is solved.

Have a nice weekend!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Friday, May 21, 2010 2:33 AM