Cant delete VM - The server encountered an internal error RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to delete a VM I created and I keep getting 

"The server encountered an internal error. Please retry the request."

This happens both when using the portal and powershell. 

Any ideas?

PS C:\Windows\system32> Remove-AzureVM bks-web01 bks-web03
    VERBOSE: 12:35:37 p.m. - Begin Operation: Get Deployment
    VERBOSE: 12:35:41 p.m. - Completed Operation: Get Deployment
    VERBOSE: 12:35:42 p.m. - Begin Operation: Remove-AzureVM
    Remove-AzureVM : "An exception occurred when calling the ServiceManagement API. HTTP Status Code: 500. Service Management Error Code: InternalError. Message: The server encountered an internal error. Please retry the request.. Operation Tracking ID: 
    f73e728f-36c6-476f-a260-0ec50ce5d6ae."
    At line:1 char:1
    + Remove-AzureVM bks-web01 bks-web03
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : CloseError: (:) [Remove-AzureVM], ServiceManagementClientException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Management.ServiceManagement.IaaS.RemoveAzureVMCommand

VERBOSE: 12:36:46 p.m. - Completed Operation: Remove-AzureVM

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 12:43 AM

Answers

• Ok found the problem.

I was trying to delete a (Webserver) VM which I had configured a load balanced endpoint against.

This had created a "Production Deployment" I found this out when I attempted to delete the Cloud Service for this machine.

When clicking delete on the cloud service I was then given an option to "Delete Production Deployment"  Once I did this the VM was immediately deleted.

I hope that this helps others as the generic error message does not give a clue about this and I found nothing online either.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 5:33 AM

All replies

• Ok found the problem.

I was trying to delete a (Webserver) VM which I had configured a load balanced endpoint against.

This had created a "Production Deployment" I found this out when I attempted to delete the Cloud Service for this machine.

When clicking delete on the cloud service I was then given an option to "Delete Production Deployment"  Once I did this the VM was immediately deleted.

I hope that this helps others as the generic error message does not give a clue about this and I found nothing online either.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 5:33 AM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear that your issue resolved. And thanks for your good sharing.

It will help the people who have the same issue.

Thanks.

Regards.

Vivian Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:17 AM