none
oData vs WCF for Microsoft SQL Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

What's the difference between oData and WCF? I am using HTML with JQuery (and Microsoft SQL Server backend) and I want to know which one is best to use for databse connectivity including SELECT, UPDATE, DELETE, INSERT...  etc....

Thanks,

Jassim

Thursday, February 23, 2017 7:52 PM

All replies

• Hi Jassim,

Do you want to know the difference between OData and WCF Rest Service? Both of them could be accessed by JQuery, and implement CURD with SQL Server backend.

For OData, the CURD operation are built-in implemented, you could call CURD by executing the HTTP requests to perform data operations using the OData endpoint. The request might be complex to use for that you need to create suitable request with HTTP verbs.

For WCF Rest, you will need to define the CURD by yourself, and you could call CURD by executing HTTP request with a simple endpoint. The URL for WCF Rest is more friendly than OData.

In my option, I would use WCF Rest. I could split the application with UI layer, Data Service layer, Data Operation layer and DB layer. I could use simple requests for WCF Rest Service, and I could custom the CURD query by myself.

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 24, 2017 2:31 AM
  • Hi,

What's the difference between oData and WCF? I am using HTML with JQuery (and Microsoft SQL Server backend) and I want to know which one is best to use for databse connectivity including SELECT, UPDATE, DELETE, INSERT...  etc....

Thanks,

Jassim

Most would use a Web API on the client side with the Web API using a  DAL that is accessed through WCF.
    Friday, February 24, 2017 10:25 AM